+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Confused about the French

Confused about the French

So, two weekends ago I visited my friends in Blacksburg, VA to party at Virginia Tech for the weekend. While I was there, I met this really cute French guy at a bar. We had a really good time, I was drunk and he wasn't, and we hooked up. I figured that would be the end of it, but I stayed until the morning and he asked for my number and gave me his as he was driving me back to my friends house, which I definitely didn't expect him to do.

I didn't expect much out of the situation. I figured it would just be a one night stand so I didn't get my hopes up, but we texted a bit the week afterwards and he wanted me to come visit him again for halloween weekend. I live 4 hours away, but I was off for the weekend so I figured I'd give it a shot. I got up there in the afternoon. I half expected him to come on to me, as I figured that that was all he was after, but we just watched House together (in French, hah), got our costumes on at his place with his roommate, and we went out together. The whole time we were at the bar, he stayed by me, held my hand, and he only danced with me the entire time. He seemed very into me and he asked me if I liked him while we were dancing and I told him I did. Neither of us were drunk this time, as I only had one drink and he doesn't drink at all. So really, it was a legitimate date, definitely not what I was expecting after a one night stand.

At the end of the night, we went back to his place and we hooked up again, but afterwards he was really cuddly and we fell asleep together. I had to leave early in the morning, but he got up to say bye to me. We didn't make any plans to see each other again that day. So really, my question is this: Is this guy actually into me or does he just keep me around so he can have a definite **** buddy? And if so, why do we do such "date-y" things together? I'm thinking that if he just wanted to have sex with me, he'd cut out a lot of the hanging out we did.

Like I said, he's French, so there is a bit of a language barrier between us, but the last time we were there, we tried to start teaching each other our languages and had some fun doing that. I really don't know what to think about this one. I want to stay detached just because that seems like the most logical thing to do, but at the same time, I really like him after our last date. He's really charming, cute, and a lot of fun. Any guys have a suggestion as to what is going on?

I hate when people say "hook up" because it means different things to different people. It could mean kissing, sex, or something else. What does "hook up" mean to you?

If he has to go back to France each summer, why would you think things could go further? You could always ask him about his future plans, or just enjoy his company for now.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Thanks for the Feedback :)

Hooking up = Having sex
    And he's not a student at Tech. He is living there for the next 16 months. He works in Blacksburg as a pastry chef. Do you think 16 months is enough time for a relationship to take hold, if there is even one there to begin with?

You're over analysing things. If you enjoy being with each other then enjoy being with each other and forget about such silly labels as DATE, **** BUDDY. And try to learn some French - it'll impress the hell out of him.

I agree with Boisdevie. The French know relationships. Just enjoy your friend with no expectations.

What is French for "f*ck buddy"?
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I don't think there is a term in French for that. The closest is suppose is 'un ami que tu baise' - literally a friend that you **** - although I'm not French so I could be wrong.