+ Follow This Topic

Thread: effectiveness?

effectiveness?

I don't know where else to post this so sorry if it's not something meant for here but I just need some help.

1) My pill is low dose, is it still as effective as a higher dose pill?
    2) I take my pill regularly, never miss one, take it the same time every day since I started taking birth control back in June. But I forgot that last week, was it last week? was daylight savings. So I took my pill at “9:30” even though it was technically 10:30 that night. The next night and since then I have been taking them at 9:30 as I always have though. Would the pill still be as effective even though if since daylight savings time it pushed me an hour off that first night?
    3) Also, I have been on the red inactive pills of my pack for a few days now. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex while I was on the third red/inactive/placebo pill (there's 4 of the red ones in my pack). Am I still protected on the placebo pills? I'd think I would be if all month and all months prior I take my birth control regularly and as I should/perfectly? We always use condoms when we have sex, so tonight was the first time we didn't use one.

Go see your doctor and discuss a different type of birth control. There is the Nuvaring, which you leave in for 3 weeks or a IUD which you can leave in for up to 5 years.

Or if you have questions about how the pill works or specifically about the one you are on, talk to a health care professional for answers.
    Last edited by smackie9; 14-11-11 at 02:27 AM.

1) Not sure about the low dose pills. These are new to me. I would assume they are effective as your dr. prescribed them for bith control, right?

2) Yes the pill is still effective. One hour off will not affect how it works. Same thing goes for other medicines.

3) Yes the pill is still effective. The red "sugar" pill are to keep you in the habit of taking a pill every day. But when you take the red "sugar" pills, you cannot conceive anyway.

Thank you for taking these every day.

WARNING: some antibiotic pills cause the BC pill to stop working! Check with your dr if you are on antibiotics and ASSUME the pill WILL NOT WORK during antibiotic use.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Low does is just that. In the 1960's the doseage was very high, because they were not sure how much was really needed. But of course with more studies, and trying different hormone combinations they have dicovered that the doesage can now be lowered to decrease the side affects that once plaqued the female population taking the pill. The pill tricks the body into thinking it's pregnant so there is no ovulation taking place, hence the weight gain, moodiness, etc. If you do miss 2 days, my doctor told me to scrap the pack and start a new one. Note: when you stop taking the pill for whatever reason, you are 3 times more fertile. Also if you are unsure, use a condom.

I take a smaller dosed pill and I am fine

I really do think you should have a chat to your doctor if you are so unsure.

Oh and Smackie for future reference they don't recommend iuds for women who haven't got all their child bearing done or don't have one commited partner because of the risk of infection. I recently had one inserted and it's been a dream so far.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

I only therw it out there as an option....obviously it would be something to be discussed with her doctor. And for future reference I WAS offered it twice in my twenties,( never had kids) by two different doctors....

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    I only therw it out there as an option....obviously it would be something to be discussed with her doctor. And for future reference I WAS offered it twice in my twenties,( never had kids) by two different doctors....
    Really? Wow! Have you told your doctors you don't want kids? I'm just asking out of curiosity and only mentioned the reccomendation thing as a matter of information.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.