+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating my former teacher?

Dating my former teacher?

So I graduated high school this past year and have liked this one teacher of mine since I was a junior in high school. It's more than just his looks - obviously at first I found him attractive but it's past that now, so it's more than just a physical attraction for me. His personality is what really got me, and over time I have definitely become emotionally attached to him. I always get vibes that he's attracted to me, just because of many different things that have happened. I always feel some sort of connection between us? I'm not going to tell many stories explaining our relationship, but I'm almost positive he at least finds me attractive.

-He will jokingly flirt with me quite often, but most of the time it's only when just me and my friends around visiting him in his office - he won't be too flirty in front of the whole class. All my friends call me "his favorite," and it sure does seem like it.. he really doesn't talk to any other girls. He is always found talking with guys since he's big on sports, but with me it just seems different and we can have a conversation about basically anything. We've become close over our two years of just "talking." We go back and forth with the sarcastic joking so much.
    -I should probably add that my friends and I have caught him staring at me, blah blah the usual. Not surprising because he's a man in his twenties.

So after two years I still can't shake my feelings for him, and I can't help but think if he would actually want to date me in the future. (I'm not really looking to date him RIGHT now, and I wouldn't want his colleagues thinking we had something when I was still in school because we didn't) I should probably initiate it just so I'll know for sure if he has feelings for me, but I don't know how to go about this? I will add that I'm 18 and he's 27. Don't judge it all by the age.. I don't want to screw up the relationship we have and make it awkward, but I guess I would have to risk that.

One of my friend graduate high school and her teacher from high school called her up and asked her out on a date.
    I'm not sure how old he is, but I'm assuming he was in his 20's.
    Not sure what happened, but her mum was a bit of shocked that he called her and asked her out.

To be honest, your head is in the clouds and you need To relize this is a growns up world. I was a teacher in my 20s and received everything from winks to smiles to notes, so dont think you are special. If this teacher has any integrity or care for his career, he will simply ignore you.

Most, if not all school districts in this country have strict rules againts dating even past students.
    Last edited by surfhb; 14-11-11 at 01:31 PM.

I don't know how this could possibly work out long-term.
    1. Are you absolutely sure he is single? He's probably married.
    2. Why date an older guy?
    3. Is this just a crush?
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Before making any decisions about going out with him or whatever - just note that if he was a professional, he would have simply ignored you and wouldn't dare (cos he could be fired and blacklisted) to give you any suggestions or implications that he likes you.

As said before, there are, I want to say laws about teacher-student relationships and to my recollection (but you should check this out), it needs to be over 3 (?!) years before a teacher and their ex student can go out. It's similar to something about doctor's and their patients too - that I think is 3 years so I presume it's the same for teacher-student.

When life becomes too tough and one feels the need to hide - one will start dreaming.

I met my 'teacher' boyfriend after school (although during school until we hardly knew who the other was, the very end of school through end of school functions was where we became remotely familiar ). Facebook is a powerful tool in this case, and let him talk to you, you don't want to turn into young schoolgirl meat by being overly flirty. And yes if you date him it is very likely there will be negativity, in this case all you could do is deep the relationship on the down low and honestly if you are a good match and you are a mature girl most teachers wont really care. (btw I would be wary assuming he likes you if he is doing it around a group of girls, I am sure most young men would be soaking it up)

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    I don't know how this could possibly work out long-term.
    1. Are you absolutely sure he is single? He's probably married.
    2. Why date an older guy?
    3. Is this just a crush?
    1. Yes he really is single.
    2. Why not? I've always been attracted to older guys and you make it sound like it's a bad thing.. I'm an adult now.
    3. It's been ongoing for two years, and I like the guy a lot. A crush is temporary and my feelings never really left. I've liked other guys at the same time too, but all of those crushes went away after a month or so while this one has stayed with me all along. And it's not me being all, "oh I just want to bang him." Yes I am still a teenager, but no I'm not like that.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know teachers that married former students. But they were older than you and without such an age gap. Your problem, IMO, is that he's much more adult than you are. He is a professional with responsibilities. You don't sound his equal, frankly, and most people want that from a partner.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh