+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Back on familiar ground, dont want to make familiar mistakes

Back on familiar ground, dont want to make familiar mistakes

I'll try to be succinct. Two years ago my best male friend admitted he had feelings for me, unfortunatly he was already in a long term relationship. He broke up with his girlfriend to be with me within the week.
    Two weeks later the guilt kicked in and then followed nearly two years of him to-ing and fro-ing - he loved me but couldnt be with me. This resulted in all sorts of horrible fights and jealosy on his part when I tried to break away from him on a few occassions. But basically every time he said he loved me and wanted to be with me Id give him a chance and he would grow distant and neglectful and then verbally abusive when I told him I wasnt happy.

I have been out of contact with him since about July this year until a few weeks ago when he got back in touch. It started off as texts asking if I was happy. I was polite but dismissive but the texts and emails escalated until he asked would I move abroad with him (!?!) He asked to meet him to talk so I did. I was nervous but the old friendship resurfaced and I felt comfortable with him like old times again despite his crazy suggestions. He said thinking about moving abroad had made him realise I was the only woman he wanted to be with, he realises its bizarre but he's willing to do whatever it takes and give me as much time as I need to make up my mind. I agreed to meet him again for dinner, which is going to be this Friday.

Logic is telling me Ive been here before too many times, how could I possibly believe he actually means it this time and even if he does he already knows how much shit he has gotten away with in the past so what incentive is there for him to treat me properly this time? I dont hate him and I dont want to behave in a way I regret later (either becasue it hurts him or myself) I feel like Im playing with fire and dont want to let him get back under my skin. Is it possible that he may actually be genuine this time?

Logic is telling me Ive been here before too many times, how could I possibly believe he actually means it this time and even if he does he already knows how much shit he has gotten away with in the past so what incentive is there for him to treat me properly this time?
    There's your answer. Listen to your logic, involve emotions later. Emotions have their place, but when you make decisions with emotions, it usually ends badly. So, listen to your logic. Don't talk to this guy ever again. Cut off all communication, because whenever you talk to him, your emotions get all caught up, and you make bad decisions.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)