+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Separate sex from love?

Separate sex from love?

Girls, I just got out of a serious relationship (good breakup so no baggage). I'm not really looking for another relationship, though I won't say no to the opportunity if it's the right guy. I've been talking to this guy I met last week and he kept asking me out and I asked him to wait a bit since I just got out of a relationship. Well, I made an exception and we hung out last night. We fooled around but didn't have sex.

I'm getting the vibe that he doesn't want anything serious either but he's good looking and my type, we get along well, and I think we'd be compatible in the bedroom too. However, I don't want to complicate things by developing unnecessary feelings for him.

How do you separate sex from love? I don't want to develop feelings for him that come with sleeping with a guy. I'd love some tips!

well flat out tell him that you are not looking for a relationship and just want to have fun right now. I'm sure he'll have no problem with wanting to be friends with benefits with no strings attached. I don't think you'd want a boyfriend with someone who is a slut anyways.

You separate sex from love by refraining from doing bonding rituals with this man.

That means"
    > You do not hang out. You screw.
    > You do not sleep in one anothers bed overnight... EVER.
    > You do not cuddle after your sex sessions for more than a min or two. Until you get your breath back.
    > You do not talk about personal things. You keep your conversation about the weather, politics, what you saw happening on the subway that morning.
    > You do not expect him nor should you phone afterwards to see how they are.
    > You never give gifts to one another or acknowledge any holidays/birthdays/special occassions.

Theres is an email floating around about Booty Call Rules that I got most of those recommendations from. They all make perfect sense on how to NOT bond with your sex partner. There are more rules but I can't remember all of them. Just don't be doing bf/gf things with him that will make you become vulnerable to him. One has to become vulnerable to someone in order to fall in love with them so don't do things that lead to you being emotionally vulnerable. No bonding rituals .. zero!
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^Exactly what wakeup said. I had an FWB once that worked out perfectly until he started inviting me to hang out with him besides the sex. Then it started feeling 'relationshippy'.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi