+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Condoms, vaseline, and HIV

Condoms, vaseline, and HIV

My understanding is that (rubber/latex) condoms should not be used with petroleum based lubs (vaseline, mineral oil, and others) because it causes the condom to "deteriorate". What does this mean? Does it mean the condom gets small holes in it as it is moved around?

Are condoms safe to prevent HIV transmission of oil-based lubes are used?

Just curious.

EDIT: there are also non-latex condoms also.
    Last edited by bulrush; 02-12-11 at 10:47 PM.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Last time I had sex my bf used a condom and it was anal so we used some baby oil which is all we had around the house. The condom deteriorated so we tried again with another and the same thing happened. Personally I would not take the risk of using an oil-based lube if HIV is present, just incase.

It is common knowledge not to use oil base products with condoms. Detertioration is when the material breaks down, and will either come apart ot tear. Water base or silicone base products are available, and are usually sold with condoms at the drug store or pharmacy. If you have any questions about condoms you can ask the pharmacist, or read the info on the condom box. You can even go to their web site of your favorite brand.....most condom companies have their own line of lubes too, like Trojan or Durex.