+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Best Friend strange reaction to birthday present

Best Friend strange reaction to birthday present

Hi

I have a best friend who I have known for years and we are very close. We are just friends and she has a boyfriend who I am also pretty close to.

It's her birthday and ever since we met she has told me her one life long dream is to go to Cuba, and that she couldnt afford to go.

So for her birthday I bought her a trip to Cuba with me. We have been on holiday before we are strictly friends only.When I told her she sat down and said but I thought you hated me? (something I told her when we had a little argument about 3 months ago, but we made up).

Then she started crying and said "I didn't know anyone loved me as much as that". Then she said "I'm in shock I'll think about it because I'm scared". Then she kept telling me she's in shock. What does this mean? Why would she act so strangely? I'm worried she might have the wrong idea.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This sort of gift is inappropriate for someone who is involved in a relationship with someone else. Her BF will likely be very pissed off. Is it possible you really didn't think of that?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I asked for his permission first, he loves the idea because he knows how much she wants to go. I offered to pay for him but he said there's no need and he trusts me.

I also know she wouldn't mind about what he thinks. We always go on holiday just me and her, we are such close friends. Really no idea why she reacted like this.

honestly it seems like u just want her very badly, you shouldnt be going on vacation with her all the time...its just flat out bs dood. everyone in the odd relationship triangle needs a realiaty check.

I'm gay :-)

It is possible that she has developed feelings for you. But since it would mean lots of trouble for everyone, let's consider the other possible explanations first... Hm is it possible that she is having trouble with her bf and perhaps would have wanted him to buy her the trip and go with her, rather than you? Maybe she cried because she feels that her gay (therefore forever romantically unreachable) friend loves her more than the guy who is supposed to be madly in love with her (her bf)?

+1 on searock's proposition. I think she's shocked about the fact that her friend cares SO much about her, while her bf's gift was probably incomparable to yours. Honestly though, that is quite an inappropriate gift regardless if the bf approves of it.

Yeah man...you make the bf look like a tool...if he is your friend you shouldn't have done that.

you make the bf look like a tool
    I totally agree
    Last edited by MynameisJesus; 24-12-11 at 07:13 PM.

She may be in shock because her lifelong dream is about to come true and she just can't believe it! I would be overwhelmed, emotionally, and in awe myself.
    If you carry old bricks from your past relationship to your new one,
    you will build the same house that fell apart before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When was the last time you did something for the first time?

She is totally grateful but also it makes her feel a bit uncomfortable at such a generous gesture. She is feeling undeserving, and is panicked at having to repay you.

Great observation, smackie9! I think I would feel quite uneasy about ever being able to repay something like that, too!
    If you carry old bricks from your past relationship to your new one,
    you will build the same house that fell apart before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When was the last time you did something for the first time?