+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What is your definition of "being in love"?

What is your definition of "being in love"?

Curious as to what everyones definition of being in love is. So what is your definition of "being in love"?

I ask because I haven't been in any real relationships before and the girl I am currently seeing says she loves me but isn't in love with me and thats why she can't say "I love you". I don't really mind, it's not that big of a deal to me; however, I do want to know where I stand. Am I in love or am in it for something else..

Love is a lot like art, its so complex and subjective that it escapes any attempt to define it, even given the most vague definitions youll still find enough exceptions to make it pointless, but to be in love, id have to say it not loving some one for their best but loving them inspite of their worst
    Last edited by Hookahmike; 08-01-12 at 11:11 PM.

she is probably meaning she loves you like a friend or a brother.....but, you're not the passion, romance, attraction that she needs. The part that gives her butterflies in her tummy, the sweaty palms, the steamy kisses, the feeling that she's on cloud 9....she doesn't feel that way with you. Can't make someone fall in love with you.

You are in love when you think things like "she is the best thing that's ever happened to me", "I would do anything for her", when you grin and feel really happy for no apparent reason just thinking about her, when being with her makes you feel like everything is exactly as it's supposed to be and like you have "butterflies in your stomach"... have you really never been in love?

By the way, it is never a good idea to date someone who doesn't feel that way about you (or for whom you don't feel that way). You can love someone without being in love with them (friends, family). You may even love someone you are attracted to, but that doesn't equal to being in love with them. Relationships among two people who aren't reciprocally in love are just, basically, a waste of time, if what you're looking for is a "real" relationship. It's ok if you're (both) only looking for the intimacy/companionship though.
    Last edited by searock; 09-01-12 at 12:11 AM.

She loves you but isn't in love with you? Sounds like bullshite to me.
    Love? - when the happyness of your OH is more important than your own. When you'd do literally anything for them. When you think about them all the time. When she/he makes you happy. The list is endless.
    When it happens you'll know.

There is no such thing as "being in love" in my opinion. What we call love is just a neuropsychological phenomena is the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post
    There is no such thing as "being in love" in my opinion. What we call love is just a neuropsychological phenomena is the brain.
    You do realize what you wrote is contradicting itself. If love is a neuropsychological phenomena in the brain then it very much exists, right?

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    You do realize what you wrote is contradicting itself. If love is a neuropsychological phenomena in the brain then it very much exists, right?
    Yes it exists as a natural phenomena, just like gravity or lightning for example.

To me, there are different kinds of love:
    1. When you love someone like a friend, but there no chemistry or romantic interest there.
    2. When you love someone like family, even though they get on your nerves sometimes.
    3. When your hormones and emotions are raging, and you are young, and feel butterflies in your stomach, and think that means you should get married. Also called "puppy love". It is so strong that people think it's the real thing, hence they get married, and often divorced.
    4. Real love might start out with intense puppy love, then settle down into a smoldering coal, which just needs a little stimulation to rage on again. This smoldering love is often caused by very good compatibility, and your common views really keep the good feelings going.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post
    Yes it exists as a natural phenomena, just like gravity or lightning for example.
    So? I think the OP was just asking what it feels like to be in love, rather than opening a neurobiological discussion or something.