+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Meeting Your Girlfriends Parents For The First Time?

Meeting Your Girlfriends Parents For The First Time?

Alright, I know this shouldn't be as big of a deal that I'm making it out to be. But, tomorow my girlfriend want me to meet her parents for the first time. The problem is I'm a really shy person, and I'm not good at meeting new people. She just want me to come to her door and meet them when I pick her up. So how should I go upon this. How should I start the convo, when thy come to the door. What are the do and do nots?

I was thinking something like this..
    Ring the bell..
    parent answer: me, hey, is "gfs name" home?
    then I'm guessing they'll say something like yes, you must be her boyfriend, I'm "parent" nice to meet you.
    then that's when I say nice to finally meet you "gf last name"

Something like that. Like i said I'm really shy so I'm not good in these situations.

What do you think? Any help would be great!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think if you are the first to speak, it would be better to introduce yourself. "Hi, I am (g/f's name) friend, chailli. You must be her dad. It's nice to get to meet you. Is she home yet?"

You will certainly be expected to carry on at least a brief conversation, so be prepared to discuss something else. "(G/F) says you are a great runner" or "I understand you work at ___________. How long have you been there?" They will definitely ask you something about yourself. Do NOT give one word answers. For example, if they ask if you are a student, you might tell them what you are studying, and what you plan to do once out of school. If they ask about your job, find something positive to say about it. (They will not be amused if you come off as a lazy, no-good bum who has no goals and hates working.)

End the conversation with something along the lines of "we are going to the movies, and then to get some dinner, I will have her back by midnight latest, if that's okay with you." ANd then, DON'T be late bringing her home.
    Last edited by vashti; 11-01-12 at 07:51 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

1. Don't cuss or swear. Do not say "dude". Ever.
    2. No ghetto talk.
    3. Do not throw gang signals at the parent's house. No gang colors either.
    4. Leave your guns in the car.
    5. No txt talk.
    6. Do not kiss your girlfriend in front of the parents the first time you meet the parents.
    7. Do not have sex with your gf on the couch.
    8. Small outer fork is for salads, larger inner fork is for the main course.
    9. Outer spoon is for tea/coffee, inner spoon, if bigger, is for soup.
    10. Put your napkin in your lap before eating anything.
    11. Fill your plate but do not eat until they do.
    12. Do not eat the dog.
    13. Take your shoes off at the door if they invite you in to sit down.
    14. Do not fart or burp.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Would it be okay to compliment the mothers hair which her daughter (girlfriend) did for her?

Yes, during the evening give one compliment to the mom and dad each. Don't overdo it. Just say it as a passing remark. Maybe talk about the topic for 2 minutes or until the topic winds itself down.

Funny story. First time I met my ex's dad, he showed me his gun collection. I think he was trying to mess with me, but in a friendly way, as in "If you hurt my daughter, I have all these guns, see...". It turns out, I also liked guns, and loved his collection. Boy was he surprised when I turned the tables!
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Yes, during the evening give one compliment to the mom and dad each. Don't overdo it. Just say it as a passing remark. Maybe talk about the topic for 2 minutes or until the topic winds itself down. Maybe you can find something about the dinner, or place settings you like, and compliment that.

Funny story. First time I met my ex's dad, he showed me his gun collection. I think he was trying to mess with me, but in a friendly way, as in "If you hurt my daughter, I have all these guns, see...". It turns out, I also liked guns, and loved his collection. Boy was he surprised when I turned the tables!

A few more "don'ts" to add to Bulrush's list:

1) Don't ask her dad for condoms, bring your own. Otherwise you will come across as cheap and unprepared.
    2) Try not to stare at your date's boobs.
    3) Try not to stare at your date's sister's boobs.
    4) Try not to stare at your date's mom's boobs.
    5) Same goes for their butts.
    6) If you must fart, burp at the same time to cover the sound.

Seriously, while it is likely that they will be sizing you up, it is highly unlikely (and frankly rude) that they will subject you to a third-degree. Be polite, friendly and responsive but be yourself. The purpose of the meeting is to let them know who is taking their daughter out, and to show respect. Think of it as a short low-pressure job interview.

Another minor point - I don't like the question "is your daughter home?" You are there to pick her up for a date, so I think the question comes across as a bit stupid. I would just say "Hi, Mr. and / or Mrs. Kornblatt, I am Brunhilde's friend Eddie Cailli. I'm very pleased to meet you."
    Last edited by carl1222; 13-01-12 at 07:46 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    I think the question comes across as a bit stupid.
    Shut up, Carl.

;-)
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

It's Ok to feel nervous. I felt nervous meeting my GFs parents and I was 47 at the time. Just try to be relaxed and polite.

Hey man, don't worry. they'll like a person that keeps himself to himself. It's better to have few words and a big heart, than no heart and big words. remember that mate. you'll be grand.

All the don'ts will make ya more nervous haha instead, I just have a 'do' for you; kiss her in front of her parents. And look in her eyes. Smile. Like you would any other time, like her parents probly would in front of you. it shows a little 'this is my girl'. And deep down, they'll like that.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    A few more "don'ts" to add to Bulrush's list:

1) Don't ask her dad for condoms, bring your own. Otherwise you will come across as cheap and unprepared.
    2) Try not to stare at your date's boobs.
    3) Try not to stare at your date's sister's boobs.
    4) Try not to stare at your date's mom's boobs.
    5) Same goes for their butts.
    6) If you must fart, burp at the same time to cover the sound.
    This is me spewing my coffee out and laughing at work.