+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is being physically attracted to someone important?

So do you think it will get stale with the attractive sensible one? Speaking from experience this has happened before to me so I think it's a reasonable statement. You can't have a discussion with someone who agrees with you 100% of the time..
    In regards to looks yeah I liked him at first and the fact he was so funny made him seem even more so too..

I'm getting the impression I should keep looking and everything everyone has said on here is very fair and valid

Just out of interest though. If you had to pick a boy/girl for the rest of your life to be with and one you found very attractive and doting but quite boring and the other you didn't really find attractive but they had a brilliant personality and sense of humour - which would you pick?
    And you can't say be friends with the second one because it's all or nothing with both!!! Haha

I'd chose the first one coz I would want regular sex with them which I couldn't do if I wasn't completey attracted to them.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

I don't think its a matter of objective parameters. Everyone I have liked was tall/thin/pale/blue-eyed/dark-haired and it was because of their personality that i felt attracted.

I can dig a person intellectually/spiritually/whatever, but if they are plump or something else thats an organic/sexual turn-off, i just can't desire them physically, thats that. the school of thought that desire comes with time as a result of spiritual closeness exists but i believe its bollocks. there's a certain type of spiritual closeness i can only enter with someone i am aesthetically/organically into, doesn't have to be good looking, just someone who feels like he's my kind of thing

Are looks important I'm a relationship? When I was with my ex I though about sex with other people when our sex life was going down the pan. I'm scared of we got back together it would be the same deal. I know ideally it should be abit of both but sometimes that's too hard to find.
    Everyone is different, so for some people, physical attraction is important. For others, personality is also important. So, since no one is perfect, you have to find a person who is "good enough", who has some of each of the important factors you need in your life.

For me, they girl doesn't have to be a model, but I need someone who is a healthy weight. I can deal with an extra 20 pounds, but her personality seems to be more important to me.

Also, don't let your past make you fearful of the future. You don't want that kind of baggage to interfere with finding just the right person. Because you might find a great person, then the baggage might make you push them away when the relationship gets serious. Trust me, I've been there. But I'm all better now! lol.
    Last edited by bulrush; 07-02-12 at 08:51 PM.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I believe personality becomes more important as you get older. You start to notice this when you hit around your 40's. As for finding them attractive over time? Yes this is actually true in some cases. If you work with someone for a long time....over time you grow a fondness for them and see them in a different light. I've witness some crazy match ups at work over the years. A lot of these people did get married and are still happily married.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Everyone is different, so for some people, physical attraction is important.
    Of course looks are important. Anyone who says otherwise is a damn liar. It is human nature to be attracted to beautiful people and there is also a evolutionary explanation for this.

Please see:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior_genetics[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    So do you think it will get stale with the attractive sensible one? Speaking from experience this has happened before to me so I think it's a reasonable statement. You can't have a discussion with someone who agrees with you 100% of the time..
    In regards to looks yeah I liked him at first and the fact he was so funny made him seem even more so too..

I'm getting the impression I should keep looking and everything everyone has said on here is very fair and valid

Just out of interest though. If you had to pick a boy/girl for the rest of your life to be with and one you found very attractive and doting but quite boring and the other you didn't really find attractive but they had a brilliant personality and sense of humour - which would you pick?
    And you can't say be friends with the second one because it's all or nothing with both!!! Haha
    Attractive and sensible every single time. Funny gets boring after a while too. I'd say intelligent but in the context of this forum that quality does not apply to females, because we all know when women say that they really mean "makes lots of money".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12