+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A bit extreme parenting 'skill'?!?!

A bit extreme parenting 'skill'?!?!

....if you can call it 'skill', that is.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU&feature=related[/url]
    “Really, sex and laughter do go very well together, and I wondered - and I still do - which is more important.” - Hermione Gingold-

Funny, but no, I wouldn't call that parenting skill. If he hadn't failed at instilling respect in her when she was a child that wouldn't have happened. Going on and on about the post and shooting her laptop made him look foolish. He should have kept the video to only a few minutes (without shooting the laptop) and then grounded her.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

I KNOW! His parenting 'skills' have failed a long long time ago imo too. I'd hate parents going on about their hard time and telling their kids how ungrateful they are and etc. Come on, it's a different world and why do they 'expect' their kid to experience that cos they did? I understand the sentiment behind it but still....

I watched it a few days ago. If I remember correctly, he's expecting his kid to find a job at 15! Unless the kid is in need of spare cash and wants to find a job voluntarily for that reason, I don't see why the parent has that expectation in the first place. Surely, there are more important things than finding a job at 15, like schooling?!?!

Ah well, I'm not a parent so what do I know......
    “Really, sex and laughter do go very well together, and I wondered - and I still do - which is more important.” - Hermione Gingold-

Every generation cops the "you have it easy speech", and the current generation is going to cop it the hardest because now it won't be about walking to school in the snow with no shoes (uphill both directions) it will be "if I wanted to make a phonecall I had to wait until I got home" or "if I wanted to do research for an assignment I had to go to the library". I am going to make sure my son knows how easy he has it, so hopefully one day he can appreciate it.

As for instilling respect in his children already, I don't think I have met one teenager who hasn't gone through a "I know everything, you're just old" phase. Teenagers are prone to be dramatic, just as this li'l girl has done.

I must say though, I am torn on this one. I don't think what she did was much worse than writing in a diary or bitching with her friends, BUT it was semi public. I do think taking away the lap top was a good idea, but I'm not sure on shooting it.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

No no no maiden, I have to say that what she did was way different than writing in a diary. If you read someone's diary you deserve whatever insults you find because it is supposed to be totally private. No part of Facebook is private. She even titled the post 'To my parents', she just didn't expect [them] to see it.

I also remember whining about my responsibilities as a teenager, and even saying a few choice words under my breath, but I never would have wrote all the negative things I said on a poster and put it on display. That is essentially what she did, only she thought that everyone except her parent would see it. That is both cowardly and disrespectful. The father went overboard with his video, and the mother was wrong for encouraging him (remember he said that she requested that he shoot a bullet for her as well).

Oh well. Either she will learn a lesson from this or will join the ranks of teen runaways. If she runs away she'll really learn how good she had it at home doing menial chores. A lesson either way I suppose.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Sorry, I should have said modern equivalent. I know facebook is public, but a lot of people consider it fairly private and she did try to hide it from her parents. Yes, she was stupid, yes she needs an attitude adjustment.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I saw this video and laughed and called my Dad and told him I just saw him on YouTube.

Honestly, kids get away with far too much these days. I never dared say a word against my parents, EVER. Not only out of fear but out of respect too. I never complained about doing my fair share around the house, as my parents always reminded me that everyone contributed to the mess and everyone is responsible for it. I was washing dishes when I was 5. I whined now and then but I never EVER would say any of the things this girl did.

As for getting a job at 15, I started working at 13 because I could. Also, because when you become a teenager your demands go up. You want nice clothes, you want to go to things with your friends, buy electronics. My allowance just didn't cut it at some point. My parents told me if I wanted those fun things, I had to earn them one way or another just like they had to every day. So I did. When I have kids, it will be the same way. My husband and I make way more money than our parents ever did, but my children are still going to learn to earn what they get.

The spoilt girl who said that stuff on facebook got what she deserved. I'm not going to criticize his parenting skills becuase A) I don't have children, let alone teenagers, and B) I remember what a hellion my sister was as a teenager. I'm suprised she's still alive. I wish more parents took a stand with their kids. My brother in law is a teacher in middle school and the abuse he puts up with from these uncontrollable brats is mind-boggling.....and the parents' of course, do not discipline them at all.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

sadie_genie Guest
    Putting up a response video and shooting her laptop (which he used his own money to buy)? Lame. No wonder the girl is spoiled. He should have just gone straight to the ass whooping.