+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is your SO in your field?

Is your SO in your field?

Is anybody here with someone from their own profession/field of study? My SO and I met at college, and though we're both interested in different aspects of our field, there are some crossroads. We frequently talk about whatever it is we're currently infatuated with, and that usually leads to some pretty interesting, sometimes fruitful conversations. Other times, we get into heated debates that fizzle into nothing, and sometimes they turn into an argument. The argument never lasts longer than it takes to agree to disagree, though; we get along well, we just have our differences. I wonder if others in similar relationships have that kind of momentum.

Sounds like a completely healthy relationship to me. Having differences is important. Helps retain your own identities. I am not in the same field as my SO but I always take an interest in what he does and support him and like to think he does the same for me.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

I did date one girl who was close to my field. So we did have a few more things to talk about.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

Yes, he is. We both study the same things, which makes our communication more easy-flowing and spontaneous since we have similar mindsets.

Interesting. I'd say my SO and I have quite different mindsets, and that's why we are in different aspects of the field. It's kind of like if a historian was dating a philosopher, and I'm more like the historian; she's more interested in theory than I am. We have very similar values and tastes, though. And yes, we're both in a happy relationship and we're actually planning on getting married sometime next winter.
    Last edited by thiudiskr; 15-03-12 at 05:09 PM.

sadie_genie Guest
    I prefer not to date someone in or similar to my field because my field is full of douchebags. Two douchebags dating each other won't make for a happy relationship.

Ha ha. What is your field SG?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by sadie_genie View Post
    I prefer not to date someone in or similar to my field because my field is full of douchebags. Two douchebags dating each other won't make for a happy relationship.
    LOL! Same, but 'douchebag' is too strong. More like difficult and pertinacious. :-)
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    Ha ha. What is your field SG?
    Probably debt collector :-D