+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can poker and love cohabitate?

Can poker and love cohabitate?

Got a situation for you folks. A guy and girl have been together for five years. They have a two year old little girl with another daughter on the way in a few weeks. To the outside world it seems like they love each other dearly but there is a big elephant in the rooms that is weighing down their relationship, and it’s called POKER! He loves it, she hates it. They are a middle class family. She brings in about 50k and is the breadwinner. While he collects unemployment and is the primary caregiver for his daughter. For the past two years they have been in a constant war over their financial situation. She works hard to support her family, and is frustrated because she feels they have nothing to show for her hard work because every extra dime goes to the poker room. On the other hand he is fed up with not feeling like she supports him fully. He believes that his success is based mainly off of her willingness to lay it all on the line for him and be all in. After all poker is a means to an end for him, he has ultimate goals of owning his own business. Although he has proven to be good at what he does, making over 60k in poker his first year alone, she refuses to believe that this is something that he can sustain long term. She counters with the fact that although he made over 60k last year in poker, he lost 75k, which puts him negative 15k for the year. She blames him for their lack of financial prosperity because he refuses to look for a job “unless it comes down to that.” And he blames her for the fact that they are not already millionaires because she won’t show any support or faith in what he is trying to accomplish. Now I have my own opinion on the subject, but I don’t want to swing the thread one way or the other, so I’ll let you guys decide. Who’s in the wrong here; the girl for wanting two working parents, the house in the suburbs, 2.5 kids, and a dog named Spot or the guy for having dreams of private schools, exotic vacations, and overflowing bank account funded by poker?You choose…

Give up on the 3rd person bullshit. Just say it. I'm guessing you're the girl.

If he won 60K and lost 75K, then he's an average poker player, and he's delusional if he thinks he's ever going to win big at it. He needs to grow up.

Firstly, im not the girl in question, although I am posting on her behalf. They both know about the thread and wanted it to be as objective as possible. They r both good friends of mine, but I have to agree with you...i think its time to grow up...

good luck

I'm still trying to get past the fact they have another child on the way when :
    For the past two years they have been in a constant war over their financial situation.
    Why do people who are in constant war over ANYTHING have more children?

It doesn't matter what we think. To ask us is actually silly (IMO) because neither one of them is going to make a decision and concede to the other on our opinion alone.
    It's them that have to come to a compromise of some sort that will keep BOTH OF THEM happy. It can't be all one way and the other remain unresentful... no matter what the issue.

Dude must realize that he's losing money and whether or not she supports him has sweet bugger all to do with why he's losing.