+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Overbearing Girlfriend - any advice you can give me?

Overbearing Girlfriend - any advice you can give me?

I have been seeing a girl for around 6 months. She is a few years younger than me and she has a young son. She really is a lovely person, She's pretty, funny and smart. the nicest Girl I have ever been out with. I think the world of her son and alot of the time being together is great.

The downside is though that she is very overbearing and It's really getting to me. I really like this girl so I dont want to have to break up with her. But I cant continue as it is.

She constantly wants to know where I am and what i'm doing or where I've been. Everyday she wants to know what time I'm going to be round at hers. If i'm late she gets very upset, even if I text her to say i'll be late. this really stresses me out.

She hates it if I have anything on that doesnt involve her, i.e. going to a festival with a friend of mine.

She always makes comments about me abandoning her if I go out to the pub with a mate. Then she makes jokes about me cheating on her or meeting someone else. I've never cheated on anyone in my life.

Every Sunday I go to see my Mother who lives alone and I have done for years. Every weekend she goes on and on about me going. She hates it.

I see her everyday but she acts like I'm never around. I havent seen most of my friends in months. I dont spend time with anyone else. I turn down most invitations to go out with my friends as I dont want to have an arguement about it with her.

We keep having arguements that are always about me going off to see my mum or a friend. She always seems to think were breaking up.

She gets very upset very easily, she takes offence very easily and it's difficult to talk to her about any of this.

I dont live with her but I never stay at my place, it's always at hers and she gets annoyed that I won't move my clothes and stuff over to hers and I have to keep nipping home for stuff. I'm just not ready for all that cos we've only been together for 6 months.

Anyone got any ideas about how I can get her to trust me, relax and not need to see me all the time.

thanks.

YOu've already said it's difficult to talk about. So if she's not prepared to have a conversation about this subjet that's really bothering you then your only option is to end things. I'm speaking from experience here. It will only get worse so end it now. To be honest, she sounds like a control freak.

All you need to do is read back on everything you just wrote. If you don't realise then what an unhealthy, unsustainable relationship you are in then there is something wrong. You are sick of this behaviour after 6 months... what will you feel like after 6 years?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Thanks for the replys. I really appreciate it.

I was a bit concerned that I had downplayed what it was really like. But seeing as both replys said I should think about calling it a day maybe your right. I think that was what I was maybe thinking all along. It really is a shame.

it is amazing!

I think I can learn to join you slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy9999 View Post
    ..... She really is a lovely person.....the nicest Girl I have ever been out with.
    Ummmm.....OK....go back and read your long post again please