+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What is the true meaning of "Getting over Someone"?

What is the true meaning of "Getting over Someone"?

In my opinion, and in my experience, the cliche statement "getting over someone" really depends on the nature of the relationship.

If for instance, you were both deeply in love and for whatever circumstances, the relationship broke apart, then getting over someone really means - Learning to live without them and to quarantine the feelings you for that person in the back of your mind to enable you to move on.

However, if you were not in love, the feelings were more along the lines of a friend and a companion, and maybe the relationship just ran out of gas, then I suppose it means you are indifferent and happy to move on.

Let me add that, the statement "getting over someone" is used far to easily to describe every breakup scenario, and I find that is in error. Some serious relationships end, and those two that moved on still will always mean something to the other person, and they may even still love each other even if they are in another serious relationship that involves love. I just think romantic relationships are far too complicated to use such a generic phrase to describe every situation.

This has been my experience. Does anyone else see this the same way?

To me it means, indifferent or at peace.

You seem to be overthinking it, since all that really matters is what it means to you.

I think the end result is the same. For me it means I don't feel any kind of romantic feelings, or any negative ones towards the breakup either. There are some relationships from my past that I still think fondly of, but don't neccessarily miss anymore.

I wake up in the morning, I don't think about the person, and if I do, I don't think one way or the other about them, they're just a person from the past. I have legitimate interests or relationships with other people that aren't impacted by the way a previous relationship ended.

To me, thats "Getting over someone".
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley