+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it normal for a man to withdraw if he is depressed and stressed

Is it normal for a man to withdraw if he is depressed and stressed

My boyfriend and I have been together 10 months. 4 have been long distance because he got a real good job out of state and moved, and I stayed where I am for now.

The last week and a half he has been real distant. He is trying to buy a house and I guess it isn't going good. He didn't go into too many details, just that he is having problems with the bank. The few times I've gotten a hold of him, he gives real short answers and doesn't seem to want to talk.

Tonight I text him, and he said he is still waiting to hear from the bank.I asked how he was besides that and he says hanging in there. I asked if everything was ok between us, and he said I've just been really down. Not yes or no. I asked whats stressing him so much, and he said everything had just piling up on him at once.

I left the conversation at if you want to talk I am here from you, but its ok if you want to be left alone and he said thanks. Do men act like this when they are really stressed out and down? I have never seen him act like this in the entire time we have been together. I just want our relationship to be ok, but I can tell he needs his space now and don't want to push it.

Thanks

I know you posted this back in June but hopefully it will help. I know exactly how he is feeling, when I get down or stressed out massively I kind of retreat - my girlfriend notices it when I do this and tries to help but sometimes guys don't like revealing their true emotions as the stereotypical man is meant to be strong for his woman. If I feel stressed or down I try to deal with it myself and sometimes the only way to do that is just to be on my own.

Although he sounds like he's going through a pretty tough time at the minute which must be horrible for the both of you - if it continues to the point where he is still extremely distant with you and non committal to your relationship then I would personally lay your cards on the table with him - tell him exactly how you feel and that all you want is to just be there for him but you can't continue with barely talking to him. See what his response is and then if it isn't good or doesn't improve I'd personally end things - as harsh as that sounds there are two people in the relationship and he does need to consider your feelings as well.

I think he told you that. But in a way that is not directly.

So some kind of answer you thing that you need to figure out what it means.

Kind annoying when people talk like that.

Maybe you need to let him alone for a while, like dont call all the time.
    Or tell him what you feel and if he want to continue right now .

And you barely know him so there will be plenty of times that you will experience stuff you did not know or seem him do yet.

That part of getting know each other. so its better to get to know him before dating.
    then you have a more bigger picture of who he is.