+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I give up or keep trying? :(

Should I give up or keep trying? :(

Me and this guy have been together for over a year. We love and care about each other a lot, but its really hard being in a relationship with him. Our lives are so completely different, his family doesn't approve of us being together, and he's either gone or so busy that he hardly ever has time for me. Lately I've been more depressed than happy with him... Missing him all the time and being disappointed when plans to see him fall through every single time. Being in a relationship is with him makes me so emotional, angry, and frustrated when things don't go the way I want them to. But when we DO get to spend time together, we are so happy. I know he has very strong feelings for me but it's still difficult- I just want to be happy all the time. I don't know if I can do this anymore. I love him but it's not working. Should I keep trying or not? Help...

Maybe it's time to lay down an ultimatum of sorts. In other words, tell him exactly what you wrote in the post above: "I love you, I feel so happy when we're together, but it just seems like our plans to spend time together area always falling apart, and I always end up feeling disappointed and upset. Do you think our relationship has a future, or do you think that how different we are will always be a barrier?"

If he loves you and wants to make the relationship work, then it should make him think hard about what it takes to build a successful relationship. If he admits that it will always be a problem, then maybe it's time to spend some time apart.
    I Have Burgled Your Hams.

I think you have to take time to make a decision quick decisions may harm you.

Sounds to me like she's already thought it through quite thoroughly...
    I Have Burgled Your Hams.

By the way, if you expect to be happy all the time in a relationship, one is not for you.
    Loving someone very much can make you and him unhappy, but that's normal, it shows you care about it.

You probably have heard this before: "I'm not happy anymore in this relationship" and the next step is to break up.
    Wait a minute, love isn't only about happiness, it's also about strength, commitment, selflessness, perseverance. If you had it happy in your relationship all the time, you wouldn't experience half of what love is about.
    Last edited by toknow; 08-07-12 at 04:06 PM.