+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Meeting the parents

Meeting the parents

Hi everyone,

I have been dating a man for about 2.5 months. It has been going great and he is very affectionate which I love.

My concern is that I asked him to meet my parents this weekend as they are visiting. He said last week it should be fine but I sent him a message yesterday to remind him and reconfirm and he has not yet responded.

He is always pretty good with responding to messages and calls.

Should I be worried?

I am falling for him but I am also very independent and have my own life and friends too. I am not clingy at all and neither is he.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

J

JB9 is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    He said 'it should be fine' which I interpret as, "maybe". He never gave you an answer and you reminded him via message (text or email?). Pick up the phone and call him directly and ask him. If he doesn't want to meet your parents, he either isn't invested at this point or feels there is no need to meet them as you are just dating and not in exclusive.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Did you make "meeting the parents" sound like a big deal? You might have scared him off, if you did. Try not to make your parents into some sort of "next big step" in your relationships, unless you think they are difficult people.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I would let it go. It's only been a couple of months, still too early to see where a relationship is going. I agree with the others....slow it down a bit. Let him make that decision, when he is ready too. And no it's not a red flag.

Thanks. No my parents are not difficult people. He has mentioned that he would like to meet them before but now he has gone quiet. I know he cares about me as he tells me so whenever I see him.

I am just guessing he is not ready to meet them yet and does not know what to say to me. I am a bit hurt but will just have to get over it. I have really fallen for him and I just wish I knew what he was thinking. He said he lost his last girlfriend becuase he did not put as much into the relationship as he should have. With me he is great apart from when we are apart (generally during week due to my demanding job and his work and uni) when we are apart I rarely hear from him.

i think its still too early and probably he thinks so too but cant tell you that since it somehow could hurt your feelings , some people could understand it as "not serious" if he said he dont want to meet them yet. and as a earlier speaker said, did you make it to a big deal for him?
    </snip>