+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I ready to love again??

Am I ready to love again??

Hello! I dated a guy for about 3 years and we broke up about 4 months ago. I was extremely heartbroken when we first broke up but once I realized what a jerk he was, i got over him fast. Although, thinking back on the things that he did to me still makes me hurt a lot. Since we broke up, I met an AMAZING guy... we have so much in common and he is honestly everything I could ever want in a boyfriend. He would like to date, and so would I, but I still feel a bit scared because of what happened to my last relationship. I'm not sure that i'm 100% ready to completely put myself out there again but he is so amazing that I don't want to give him up. He has already waited so long for me that i feel bad making him wait any longer.

I still get a bit sad when i hear things about my ex and his new girlfriend, is this normal?? Am i ready to love again?? Is it normal to date this soon after a long term relationship??

I think it is a little soon, but you also don't want to pass up the opportunity when a really great guy walks into your life - rarely do they walk in at the "right" time!

I'd say talk to him about it and ask him if you can take things very slowly. Try to limit how much time you spend with the new guy - maybe just once or twice a week for a bit - and don't sleep with him for a while. Just take it slow and see how well you two mesh. If he's having a hard time with taking it slow, explain to him that you're just out of a long term relationship and you're not ready for anything intense at this point. If he's really into you, he'll understand and he'll have patience. Just don't string him along for a cruel length of time (I once had a friend string my other friend along for over a year and a half using the "getting over a past relationship" excuse.. not cool).

Fear is our number 1 enemy. Those who can control it gain so much.... Those who wait do not.

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained