+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Age gap for relationship?

Age gap for relationship?

Recently this girl had started working at the same place as me and I have just broking up with my girlfriend of a year and began to have an interest in this new girl. The only problem is that she is six years younger then me. Everyone that I work with who I have told have said that is to much of a age gap for a relationship. But I think otherwise, what about you? What do you think is a good age gap for relationships, and what was your biggest gap?

I think 6 years is completely fine. In fact to me it seems like the perfect age gap.
    Keep in mind though this is relative to your own age, so hopefully you're 24+ years old.

Depends on how old YOU are.

My wife is 5 years older than me, but we're in our 40's. If she'd met me when she was 20, that would've been creepy.

I met my husband when he just turned 20 and I was 26. When I was 24 I did date a few 19 year olds...not a wise choice lol.

I just turned 22 in August, and she is 16. Turns 17 in seven months. That's why I ask, because I know many people are against it.

Yea, in this case the gap might be too much. When I was 26 I dated a 20 year old, but you're living in different worlds here. She has 2-3 years of highschool alone left, whereas you're probably in college, done college, or out in the real world. Plus you also need to think about the age of consent laws for whichever country you're in.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Ya this kind of age gap is too much. You are an adult and she is a kid still. This won't work. You both are at different places in your life. Plus her age will restrict you from going to adult only venues, bars, clubs...and your circle of friends don't want to be hanging out with some kid. Not to mention her parents will say "no!"

I know guys that have dated very young girls, and what happens is when the girl reaches the age of 19-21 (drinking age), you get dumped because they start hitting the clubs and shit. They realize there is more to life to experience and have fun than being stuck with a BF.....they get lots of attention from other guys and it's game over for you.

6 years gap is ok. But if she's only 16, there'll be some differences. You're a man but she's still a teenage girl. Most of the time you'll find out that she's so childish, immature and hard to understand you. These difficulties can destroy your relationship. So think carefully about that. If I were you, I would not choose this small girl for a commitment relationship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As previously mentioned I just got out of a one year relationship, and when we met we were three years apart. So, I have had girls closer to my age. But, after we broke up I have had this urge to get closer to this sixteen year old, and everyone can see it. Maybe I'm just trying to create the void left by the girlfriend with her. But, when we talk at work she does seem a little bit interested in me, starting a conversation, laughing, smiling, and cracking jokes. That type of thing. Who knows

Just be her friend...maybe when she is out of high school or something you can date. When I was 17 my first "real" BF was 21...and just like Smakie said, as soon as I went away to college we grew apart and I Dumped him. He became jealous of me going out and having male friends etc...he was already working and living on his own. It's not really about the age, but where you are in life. My current BF is 6 years younger than I am and it's hard at times b/c he gets possessive and it drives me insane. Be her friend and don't buy her alcohol! Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by chailli View Post
    As previously mentioned I just got out of a one year relationship, and when we met we were three years apart. So, I have had girls closer to my age. But, after we broke up I have had this urge to get closer to this sixteen year old, and everyone can see it. Maybe I'm just trying to create the void left by the girlfriend with her. But, when we talk at work she does seem a little bit interested in me, starting a conversation, laughing, smiling, and cracking jokes. That type of thing. Who knows
    Of course she seems interested...she is getting attention from an older guy...it makes little girls feel all mature and stuff.

now when you say just be her friend, what do you mean by that :p

I mean talk to her about non-sexual things at work only. Talk about the weather...work related issues and that's it. Do not hang out outside of work.