+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How important is affection to men?

How important is affection to men?

I love affection but then again I am female and I know some guys love it and some just don't have a need for it. Apart from sex how important is showing affection to the person you are with? I think hugs, holding hands and any kind of affection are important but have learned that just because someone is not affectionate does not mean they don't love you. Some people are just not affectionate, for example, my boyfriend is not but I am. It took some getting used to for me and he likes the affection I show him and is receptive to it but he just does not take the initiative. Just like anything else in a relationship, I think if you really love someone you accept them as they are and learn not to take things personally.

It really depends on the person.
    I carve for affection personally. I can not live without it. If the girl can't or won't show me any affection, she isn't the right one then. But i am a hopeless romantic. I often enjoy to swim in the middle of a summer night, have trips in the woods, sing, draw and things like that

But i have a friend of mine, he is the complete opposite. For him, a relationship is just sex, early marriage, wife at home with kids. Almost like you 'have' to do all those things and there is no real love or affection between them.

I am a bit like your boyfriend: I am really hard to show affection, but anyway I really appreciate affection: it is difficult for me, but I love to receive it.

And you are completely right: if someone doesn't show their feelings, that doesn't imply at all that he doesn't love you. It is only his way of being, it is really difficult for him to show his love or to take the initiative.

Affection is more than just an emotion, it can be considered by some as a requirement in healthy relationships. Affection is an ebb and flow between two people, where each individual is giving and receiving a certain amount of contact and interaction at all times. Whether it is through a hug, kiss or just a phone call, affection is the way we show others in our lives how important they are in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelandme View Post
    I love affection but then again I am female and I know some guys love it and some just don't have a need for it. Apart from sex how important is showing affection to the person you are with? I think hugs, holding hands and any kind of affection are important but have learned that just because someone is not affectionate does not mean they don't love you. Some people are just not affectionate, for example, my boyfriend is not but I am. It took some getting used to for me and he likes the affection I show him and is receptive to it but he just does not take the initiative. Just like anything else in a relationship, I think if you really love someone you accept them as they are and learn not to take things personally.
    It's very important to me ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_jedi View Post
    I am a bit like your boyfriend: I am really hard to show affection, but anyway I really appreciate affection: it is difficult for me, but I love to receive it.

And you are completely right: if someone doesn't show their feelings, that doesn't imply at all that he doesn't love you. It is only his way of being, it is really difficult for him to show his love or to take the initiative.
    Interesting view, although I have never believed myself that you can love someone and just not be capable of showing it...