+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Approaching a Shy Girl?

How is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

Approaching a Shy Girl?

I am doing a one year exchange program in Japan. I have been coming here every year since I was little so I know the language and culture well. Probably that was unnecessary because nations don't matter in how a girl behaves but I wrote it just in case.

There's this shy girl in my class who piqued my interest. I am pretty sure she has also some interest in me: she answers to my mails nicely; she shows to her friends paintings that I have done; one of her friends told me that she had some interest in me... However, when I approach her during class she is always extremely cold and distant. I think she feels pressure when talking during class because of rumours (foreigner with a girl blah blah blah). At the beginning I thought she would find it attractive how I had the bravery to approach her during breaks but now I have realized that she feels pressure and since I don't want her to feel pressure nor sadness at all I won't approach her during class.

I'll put an example: She plays an instrument and she told me she had this concert going on on Saturday. So on Friday I approached her and told her: 'well, I am a bit busy on Saturday but if I have the time I'll be sure to check you out guys'. And she was like yes ok yes ok I don't know, putting her face away. So it's that kind of awkward situation, after that I realized that I had put some unnecessary pressure on her. By the way, I did manage to go there on Saturday.

I am interested in her as a person. I want to get to know her better, I want to be her friend, I want to see what kind of girl she is. I spend most classes just staring at her and my heart just beats faster than normal when I am around her. I still don't know if it is love, and still don't want to know it. I first want to know her better and then decided if it is love or not.

But I just find this so awkwardly slow. We can't talk during class, she is very busy, I am busy, I want to make jokes but my humour is kind of strange... I was thinking of inviting her somewhere but it might put a lot of pressure. Sometimes she laughs at jokes of other boys and I get this strange feeling of wanting her to laugh with me as well. I am so confused, what do you guys think I should do? Thanks for reading

There is a cultural difference for sure. Japanese parents are driven to have children that are high achieving academically, and musically. Her parents probably forbid her to be involved romantically for it will interfere with her studies. If it isn't going the way you like it, then back off. It's not to be.

Since i know jack shit about Japanese people, I'd still say that for her, studies and such are more important that having a boyfriend. I can't say i blame her or you though. Love happens and i must say that the way you handled yourself so far is good.
    The only advice i can give is, since you seem to have a good, friendly relation with this girl, is just be who you are maybe invite her have a cake sometime, just be friendly. If there's a chance she's into you, she'll open herself to you only and things will go the good way.

Off topic a bit: Your situation reminded me how awful most guys handle the situation. Most of them are trying so hard, it actually makes most situations very awkward and those girls start to hate them. Just read the sections and notice how almost all threads are full of awkward stuff hahah

How is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the replies. I have put effort in this relationship so I am not going to just back off because she is cold during classes. I do think that it is a difficult situation, but I won't give up until I feel like giving up. She doesn't ignore me and she is usually nice towards me so I don't think she hates me. I'll definitely invite her for a cake soon, it sounds as a good idea.