+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Mixed Signals... Is He Just Not Interested?

Mixed Signals... Is He Just Not Interested?

So, I like this guy. He's going to graduate high school soon, and I'm afraid I'll run out of time. I have one more year, even though he has said he'd visit. I'm too shy to ask for his number or if we can hang out, because I don't know if he's comfortable with that, and I don't want to rush things.
    We're both in band together and we both play the same instrument. This is pretty much where I spend most of my time with him and have gotten to know him, even though he's also in my 4th period. (Sitting next to his friend a ways away, so we never really talk) He's a gentleman, a really nice guy. The kind of guy who will open doors for you. Which is what he did for me. He compliments me (pretty much on my playing) and he's told me I'm perfect before. I don't know how to take that, because he's just nice to lots of other girls at school. Not that he's a flirt (I think) but he's just nice. He's also pretty nerdy. He likes Star Wars and things like that, but he has lots of friends. He's funny, sweet, talented, silly (when you get him out of his shell) and so smart. My problem is that he acts like he's too cool for me sometimes around his friends. He makes me feel awkward about myself. This makes me feel distant from him and like I'm out of his league.
    I've caught him stealing glances at me from across the room, his body language is... well, questionable. We look at each other when we talk (I like looking into his eyes...) He scratches his arm and has "lovey dovey eyes." (my friend exaggerated...) but it's not always this way.
    At the last football game we both really came out of our shells, laughed and talked to each other. But I think it took a playful comment from me saying he's boring to get him to have fun. Usually we just stand next to each other and he has this attitude like he's too cool to be here and just wants to go home. (Maybe he's trying to impress me?..) I felt like I took a big step when I stole his hat at the end of the game and he let me wear it.
    I really wanted to ask for his number on the bus going home, and we even all had our phones out, but I just chickened out.
    Sorry about the long read. I'd appreciate some insight on this.

Traditional gender roles, especially in the US, are out the window. If you feel like he might be interested, you should just ask. What is the worst thing that can happen if he says no? You go home, fire down a tub of ice cream and watch the Notebook, and move on.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Yep, totally agree. If you think he is even slightly interested, which it sounds like he is. Go for it girl. Whats the worst that can happen..?!

I say go for it...

Well, I guess I misread the signs :/ I decided to go for it, and Monday it seemed like he was a lot nicer to me and talked to me more. I asked for his number yesterday, and he seemed cool with it and typed it in my phone. We talked for a bit about Thanksgiving so it didn't seem so awkward. At the end of the conversation, we were smiling and laughing (or at least that's how I saw it) and I was blushing. I think he was a little red too.
    Well, I didn't wanna rush and text him right away, so I texted him ... about 7 hours ago... :/ and he hasn't replied. He said he wouldn't be busy or go anywhere during the break, so I dunno. I think I freaked him out. *sigh*