+ Follow This Topic

Thread: friends with first love?

friends with first love?

Okay so here is the story.... We were dating for about a year and were pretty serious. We were very happy and never fought about anything serious (just flirty disagreements). We went to different universities about 2 hours apart and visited each other frequently/called/vid/chatted/texted often. We were each other's first loves. A small problem was the fact that he had some minor health issues (depression), which worsened in the winter. Well, when winter came he suddenly stopped talking, slept alot, and it was just hard to get in touch (not just with me but for his family too). Anyways, he broke things off and we barely spoke. He was really nice about breaking up, though. It just sucked we suddenly went from best friends/dating to absolutely nothing. And I was worried about his health.
    Unfortunately, we share a lot of the same friends, so when our group did things together, sometimes we would both show up. We basically just totally ignored each other during those few occasions (he did not really go to a lot of group events anyways). Well after not speaking for about a year, he's suddenly started showing up to a lot more group things and has been mentioning things he KNOWS we both like (tv shows, games, movies, etc.) or did together, and only us have in common. He's also started looking me in the eye (I still kind of avoid eye contact) and I've caught him staring several times. He's even started talking to me directly about some things. I've realized I still have feelings for him, but I'm confused as to whether or not he just wants to be friends again, or still has feelings. I still try to avoid eye contact because I'm scared of being hurt by him again. But we were absolutely brilliant together, which is why I'm still kind of hoping (sad, I know). What to think? I know he has not been anywhere near a new relationship since the breakup...?

Electric7, unless he's taken steps to address the depression - don't even consider getting back together with him.

Since you share the same social circle he is just trying to make things civil between you two. If he wanted to get back with you he would have said so by now, the fact is he hasn't because he knows he has issues, that's why he is avoiding any relationship even one with you.