Simple question for English native speakers please

Today in an email he wrote me:

"See you when you get back."

To tease him, I replied:
    "I love you too."

And later, he added underneath these two simple words:
    "And you."

What does he mean with this "And you"?
    To me a logical answer would have been "Me too" not "And you" I am a bit skeptical.
    Thanks for your advice.

I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure in this context it means "I love you too". It's like saying "to you too" or "me too", depending on what the other person said.

Thank you. I am hoping this would be the meaning, however it would be great to get the confirmation by a native speaker... Thanks again.

Hmmm personally i think it's a lazy way and doesn't really say it with meaning!!

Yeah, it's kind of lame. Like when someone says "I love you" and the other person replies "me too", instead of "I love you too". Seems like it has no actual feeling in it. However, since she said "I love you too", maybe he had already told her that he loves her..?

Thanks. Would this be a way to answering without answering? I mean, does this expression "And you" really exist or does he purposely answer this way because he does not want to reply that the feeling isn't reciprocal?

No he hasn't told me he loves me, this is why I provoked him, to try to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen2013 View Post
    No he hasn't told me he loves me, this is why I provoked him, to try to find out...
    Trying to provoke someone into saying they love you is a really stupid thing to do. What other games or tests do you plan to put the poor guy through next?

We have a playful, always understated way a communicating, and I doubt you can judge this without knowing the full context. I know he cares about me. I just need that English speakers give me their opinion on the syntax. Constructive comments please.

If he never said it before, then yes, he was looking for a way to avoid actually saying it back, without seeming like he didn't care. He isn't ready to say the words yet, don't push him. If you want to know if he loves you and can't wait, just ask him directly instead of "testing" him.

If I had to ask my BF if he loved me or I was waiting for him to say it and wondered why he hasn't yet, I wouldn't be going out with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen2013 View Post
    We have a playful, always understated way a communicating, and I doubt you can judge this without knowing the full context. I know he cares about me. I just need that English speakers give me their opinion on the syntax. Constructive comments please.
    Hardly "understanding".. if after he says something to you, you have to ask a forum board full of strangers wtf he meant!

Why don't you just ask HIM if he loves you too... go straight to the source instead of going the around-the-world route by coming here and reading our speculation?

My opinion: He's not there yet (in love with you) and is just telling you the easiest thing to appease you without actually telling you he's not on the same page as you. In otherwords he's just as bad as you in the communication department but he's managed to keep himself firmly planted and renting space for free in your mind.

I'll add that trying to manipulate an "I love you" out of someone is, to this native english speaker, rather lame. Hope he comes around to that page you're on soon.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 23-01-13 at 11:18 PM.

I think the context you've just given us tells us much more.

From a person who's said "I love you" many times, it's just a lazy response of reciprocal love. Hubby and I sometimes mumble this in response when we're half asleep

But from a person who's never said "I love you" it's more likely a tactful way of not having to say "I love you"
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I think the context you've just given us tells us much more.

From a person who's said "I love you" many times, it's just a lazy response of reciprocal love. Hubby and I sometimes mumble this in response when we're half asleep

But from a person who's never said "I love you" it's more likely a tactful way of not having to say "I love you"
    Yes exactly. Wife and I both have shortcut responses saved in quick text on our phones. If I get hers, I know she's busy, but not too busy to send a reciprocation... but if it were a new relationship, I'd be suspicious of it.

There is a mistake in the write up. There is nothing like "And you" to reply to "I love you too". Actually it should go in this manner: "I love you" then the reply will be "I love you too". I think your own reply should have been "I love you" not "I love you too". Since what he only wrote was "see you when you get back". So when you replied with the "I love you too" statement he didn't know what to reply; he kind of got confused.