+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Traveling with the opposite sex?

Traveling with the opposite sex?

If two people of the opposite sex travel together, they travel alone, and are not related, does that imply that they are in a relationship?

So here's what happened.

One of my biggest dreams and aspirations is to be able to travel. Go to a place or two every year, and slowly begin to see a bunch of different places... I would ultimately be seeing the entire world, little by little.

Last week wasn't a very good one for me. I was really stressed out with school, and on top of that, I was having a bit of a problem with loneliness. So, I talk to my interest, and our relationship being the way that we talk about whatever is on our minds freely, I brought it up. I brought up what I thought: that even though it would be great to travel, and I would experience so many great things, it would be a duality of happiness and sadness. Happiness for apparent reasons... sadness because you wish you could spend those experiences with someone who enjoys it as much as you do. At the end, she ended up saying, "Well, wait for me then, and come with me".

She said that we both like to travel, and we're great friends and the such. However, something tells me that the whole thing about being 'great friends' was a cover-up. She said, "We will meet, and we WILL travel"... I said that now, those words were set in stone. She said that they were "set in something better, our hearts and resolutions".

What do you guys think? I'd really like to know... is this just a friend thing, or do you think it's more? Do you think what she said about us being 'great friends' was just a cover-up for stronger feelings, or not?

Thanks in advance for the replies, I would greatly appreciate them.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

I dont think there is anything to think about. Just let things happen. Sounds like if it ended up being a relationship it could be quite an adventurous one. Just let things play themselves out. You dont really want to mention it at all or it could make things odd. Just do what you said youre doing..travel. If a relationship comes of it then it does.
    ~Sarah~

I think you should clarify the nature of your relationship before you go. Why would you want to spend your whole vacation trying to read more or less into every word she says when you can be certain beforehand?

life refuses to be choreographed prodigal .

let things happen the way they will ... and sit back and enjoy teh ride ....

best of luck

Hussain
    Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - The Ghost of Christmas Past

Noooo dont mention it. BAD idea you could ruin the trip and even make it to where neither one of you want it to happen. Dont over-analyze things... just let them be. Shoot I wouldnt even think about it at this point. Just continue things the way they are.

I swear I used to over-analyze things. If I had anything on my mind at one certain point no matter what it was I would bring it up. Now I know that some things are better left unsaid. In this case you dont want to ruin something that doesnt even exist. She may look at you and go huh? Just let things happen naturally. Thats what a great relationship is anyway... not pushed, not forced..just happens.
    ~Sarah~

Quote Originally Posted by ALovelyLady86
    Thats what a great relationship is anyway... not pushed, not forced..just happens.
    Well put! I just wish more people realised that.

Enjoy your travelling!

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal
    If two people of the opposite sex travel together, they travel alone, and are not related, does that imply that they are in a relationship?
    No. Ppl travel together on business for example. And male-female friends can travel together, tho I think that, sooner or later, there are feelings more than "friends" involved from one or both. unless there is something to prevent it, like one or both are committed elsewhere.

She said that we both like to travel, and we're great friends and the such. However, something tells me that the whole thing about being 'great friends' was a cover-up. She said, "We will meet, and we WILL travel"... I said that now, those words were set in stone. She said that they were "set in something better, our hearts and resolutions".

What do you guys think? I'd really like to know... is this just a friend thing, or do you think it's more? Do you think what she said about us being 'great friends' was just a cover-up for stronger feelings, or not?
    i think that if she said this, she feels more than "just friends" for you. Listen to your instincts. But as the others said, also be easy & enjoy! Go w/the flow.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I have responses to most of them.

LovelyLady- I think you're right... the best relationships do just happen. Nothing can be forced. Thanks for the advice, it's very helpful. However, I was looking more on a sense of whether she likes me or not.

shh!- A definite possibility.. but the real problem comes if I do that and she doesn't like me. I'd hate things to get awkward because of that... and you know, that would ruin the whole trip, too. So maybe... it's to just let go when we go traveling. That's the whole aim anyway, when you go on travel.

indigosoul- I'd like to focus on the "unless there is something to prevent it, like one or both are committed elsewhere." part. My own reasoning was that if (when this happens), one or both of us ARE in a commitment, they wouldn't be happy. If I had a girlfriend/wife and she had a boyfriend/husband by that time, they probably wouldn't let the two of us travel together, alone. Just doesn't seem logical to me.

hmmmm....

male and females can travel together as just friends...
    i don't see why it isn't possible, unless you're going to be sleeping in the same bed, which is what happened to me, and THAT did not quite work, especially when we both had a bit of drinks in our system

however, the second time round, it worked really well. we didn't stay in the same place and had lots of fun..

but you see, he did not like me, so we didn't have to worry about things. but you like her.. soooo..

just, hope you have a great trip, if you do end up going somewhere together.
    "Ogres are like onions."

Prodigal---Traveling with someone is the best way to get to know them, 'cause you're stuck with them 24/7. By the end of the trip, you'll know whether she likes you.

Lovelylady---"Thats what a great relationship is anyway... not pushed, not forced..just happens."

That's a great piece of insight. Point noted.

indigosoul Guest
    indigosoul- I'd like to focus on the "unless there is something to prevent it, like one or both are committed elsewhere." part. My own reasoning was that if (when this happens), one or both of us ARE in a commitment, they wouldn't be happy. If I had a girlfriend/wife and she had a boyfriend/husband by that time, they probably wouldn't let the two of us travel together, alone. Just doesn't seem logical to me.
    Hi Prodigal. If this is your "mystery lady" you've been referring to, then you need to make this trip be more than "just fun" and you know it. This will be a unique opportunity to figure out just what is between you and this lady. I've never posted my particular issue on this forum (nor will I), but trust me when I say I have experience in this...

You need closure on this. So does she. I already said that it sounds like this lady has feelings for you. If you two are friends, you have to sort this out, for both your piece of mind. And forgive me for saying this, its not really my place, but I would strongly suggest you avoid anything physical until you have sorted out your feelings and any other relationships that are involved. This way, if things don't work out, you can still love each other as friends. In this matter, a little restraint will go a loooong way.

Thanks for the advice, artyemi... I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Chlorine- After thinking about it, I suppose that you're dead on. There isn't much I can say about it... but I think you're right. Thanks a lot.

Indigosoul- Can I PM you? There are some questions I would like to ask related to my situation.

indigosoul Guest

Indigosoul- Can I PM you? There are some questions I would like to ask related to my situation.
    Certainly, Prodigal, ask away.