+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Advice For Valentines Day - Guys Only

Advice For Valentines Day - Guys Only

Hello everybody, I'm hoping you have been having a good beginning of this great year. A very dangerous holiday is upon us, the fearful Saint Valentines Day. This is a big deal for most women, and even for some men. Sure the majority of guys just see it as another day of the year, and in all honesty it really is; at least for us men. But there is one common problem that men face: they do not know how to handle this confusing date of the year. I've been coaching men for years now and I'm ready to share my professional coaching experience. So, let me begin.

We will treat valentines day just the same as Christmas and New Years: if she is not our girlfriend, we do not see her that day. Now most people will be asking why not? Remember, this girl is not your girlfriend. You may only have three or four dates with her, or even nearly seven, but it does not matter. Until she asks you in some way for her to be your girlfriend, you do not give her Valentines Day. It comes down to the theory of challenge.

To explain this a little better, I'll tell you a short story. The other evening I was talking with this older women that I often see and she asked me, "Are you doing anything for Valentines Day?". I told her my plans which did not include any kind of going out with a girl. She asked me "Why aren't you taking out that girl you were with two weeks ago?". I told her that if she is not my girlfriend, I don't take her out. Immediately she responded and said "Wow! You're really being a challenge for that girl, aren't you? That will drive her nuts!" Exactly my point guys! And this women even used the word challenge! By not taking her out you will be on her mind that day and raise her interest level. Remember guys, if she is not our girlfriend we do not take her out on holidays.

Now suppose this girl IS our girlfriend, what do we do? We want to remain classy and take care of this girl. We are going to get her a card. Not just any small card that you'll find for your typical valentines day. We want something that will stand out. Get her one of those big 6" by 12" cards, like something really silly that you would give to a kid. Inside write something short and sweet, but nothing mushy. Something along the lines of "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm so happy I'm with you". You get the idea. We want this card big so that she will keep it in her apartment or home for a little bit and not just throw it out.

Next, buy her favorite kind of flowers. It could be roses or whatever she likes best, and take her out to her favorite restaurant. This will make the day special for her and still keep it very simple for you guys. Do the same thing every year if you happen to be with the same girl. She will love it.

So guys, that about sums it all up. If she is not your girlfriend, don't ask her out for that day. If you happen to have a girlfriend, then follow my simple card and dinner plan and you'll be in the clear. I hope this helped, and have a great holiday!

If you have any questions, post below or send me a PM. Thank you!

-Doc Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LoveDocJon View Post
    Get her one of those big 6" by 12" cards, like something really silly that you would give to a kid. Inside write something short and sweet, but nothing mushy. Something along the lines of "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm so happy I'm with you".
    LOL!!!

Do the same thing every year if you happen to be with the same girl. She will love it.
    Not everybody likes doing the same thing every year... and how about deciding together what you want to do?

What a load of fertilizer.

Thanks for the advice Doc Jon. But I'd prefer to do something a little more interesting. A greetings card (gosh even a great big one), some flowers and a meal out - not exactly new ideas there Doc Jon.
    But please feel free to keep your pearls of wisdow flowing - I do like having a good laugh - and your comments make me realise with some relief that when it comes to those little grey cells there are others out there less fortunate than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Thanks for the advice Doc Jon. But I'd prefer to do something a little more interesting. A greetings card (gosh even a great big one), some flowers and a meal out - not exactly new ideas there Doc Jon.
    But please feel free to keep your pearls of wisdow flowing - I do like having a good laugh - and your comments make me realise with some relief that when it comes to those little grey cells there are others out there less fortunate than myself.
    You can always go and create your own date for valentines day, I'm just laying out the foundation for how to behave. Be a gentleman, but also make sure you are doing what she loves to do. Hence why I suggested her favorite restaurant. I just try to stress that if a girl is not your girlfriend, then you should not see her. There's a reason why divorce rate is 50% with women filing 2/3 of the time. Some guys just do not get it.

For one thing, good f ucking luck finding a place to eat on Valentines day, most restaurants do not take reservations, it's first come first served and is usually lined up out the door. Roses on this day cost at a minimum of $100. a little much for those who are in college or supporting a mortgage and kids. Actually I can think of better things to spend a 100 bucks on. An over sized card or stuffed animal..seriously? No. A simple card is just fine.

What would impress me is if he cleaned the house, cooked a nice dinner for me and have beer chillin on ice. Jewelry is nice but not necessary.

Basically it's best to do something that is thoughtful, and you know them well enough to do something for them you know they would really appreciate. Anyone can buy dinner and flowers.....boring!
    Last edited by smackie9; 04-02-13 at 05:03 AM.

I do like the poetry idea. I'm going to write this inside the 24x36 card (bigger card = better I thought): 'Roses are Red, Voilets are Blue, I'm desperate to have a relationship and so are you'.
    Hope it works, but since she lives over 30 miles away I really think it's not going to work.

Sorry, that sounds really dumb. I feel like it should be a reflection of you as a couple, not the same old same old. That's just lazy. When I was engaged we went to restaurants and I got surprise flowers and candy all the time. So we went to a wrestling match for V Day one year and I loved it! We were both huge fans.

Just don't be cheap.

i got custom printed m&ms on her fav colors, one is a picture of us, the other says, roro + mello and I love you.. bonus points for creativity.

God, I hope I never get an oversized valentines day card with a dumb poem and a child's toy. I can do a restaurant, but I reject the notion of flowers marked up by 200% and I don't want gifts.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    God, I hope I never get an oversized valentines day card with a dumb poem and a child's toy. I can do a restaurant, but I reject the notion of flowers marked up by 200% and I don't want gifts.
    Actually I hate the idea that we 'should' do something because the marketing gurus who want us to spend out money on crap think it would boost their profits. I would rather drink a bucket of vomit.

'zackly.

I don't do Valentine's Day, because it's the day I'm "required" to do it... which negates any good that could come from it.

Me personally I can live without any holiday(ie;christmas), birthdays, etc. I should become a JW but I can live without religion too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveDocJon View Post
    Do the same thing every year if you happen to be with the same girl. She will love it.
    sounds boring and repetitive