+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend made an interesting friend, I am worried.

Girlfriend made an interesting friend, I am worried.

It is my first time dating. My girlfriend and I have been dating for 4 months now, and we have never fought. We are open and I always stress that communication is important. Recently she has made friends with this other boy named Steve. Steve is part of her social club and they always hang out when I am not with her. He seems like a cool guy, and even has his own girlfriend. However, it bugs me that Steve is always with her when I am gone... I do trust my girlfriend and she told me not to worry and that I am the only one, however, today I found out that Steve is going to sleep over at her house. She promised me that he will not be in the same room as her when he crashes. I am just worried because I am afraid that Steve wants to hit on her.

Here are my questions;

1) Is it natural for me to be jealous of the attention Steve is getting?

2) What is the right way to react when she just considers him a best friend?

3) What would you do in my situation?

1. It is absolutely natural for you to be jealous. I personally know many, many, men who would not stand for such things even remotely.

2. Keep your eyes open. Does she ever invite you to join them when they are hanging out? Have you met or gotten to know him? If he really is just her "best friend" she should have no issues with him getting to know her boyfriend. I think it's great you're not overreacting and "forbidding" her to see him. Sitting her down and letting her know EXACTLY how you feel about him spending the night would be wise. Would SHE be okay with a close girl friend of yours sleeping at your house?

3. I, personally, would not be able to handle a relationship where my S/O spent so much time with another girl. It depends on your age and how serious this relationship is. Alot of young girls don't become seriously "exclusive" until they're out of their teens. What a 16 year old might think is fine (like a sleep over) a 25 year old thinking of marriage would never attempt such a thing.

Good luck! You're justified in how you feel. That sounds shady to me.

It is normal and healthy to feel a certain amount of jealousy. So far she did not give you a concrete reason to suspect anything. The first sign of her cheating you have to talk to her about it and see where you are in the situation. If you find yourself left out then go out and find a better woman who will give you the attention and love you need.
    In your situation I would see where she takes her friendship with Steve and break up with her the minute she gives me a reason to suspect something. You don't deserve to feel bad or left out.