+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriend of 3 years is moving overseas, will it work?

My boyfriend of 3 years is moving overseas, will it work?

My boyfriend and I have been together for a blissful 3 years now. He's almost 30 and I am 27. My career is golden and rosy here in Australia, but my boyfriend's dream career lies overseas in the USA.

He is ambitious and hard working, and he is sad that many of his friends have moved to US and doing greater things. Last 2 years he has stayed in Australia for me, but he has made his decision to move now.

Soon he will take off for US, and there is no plans for return. He wants me to go with him, but my parents do not like him and refuse me to go overseas. Myself is uncertain because my salary will be halved if I move to the US, and my 10 years of hard work for my current career will be wasted.

It's crunch time: I want to be with my boyfriend because he makes me happy. If he stays in Australia, he'd be unhappy about his career. Whereas if I go to US I'd be unhappy about mine. I don't think we can survive a long distance relationship when there is no hope of of reunion, especially we are both not young anymore and are looking to settle down.

Can someone please give me a suggestion?

If you think that he is worthy and you want to be with him and have family I think it's very good choice to move with him. In US surely will value high your experience at work and you could start the same job as now. I think you know that work isn't the most important thing but happiness and love are because you live with them all life.

I think you could have a great career in the USA if you try. It is not your families decision-it is yours.

If you want to marry this man and have kids with him-go with him. Your career is important yes but you can build a career for yourself anywhere. Finding a man that you love unconditionally, however is not easy and you may regret letting him go without you for the rest of your life.

I would be gone without a shadow of a doubt if my partner wanted to go and hed do the same for me.
    Last edited by michelle23; 02-03-13 at 07:19 PM.

You're 27 years old and your PARENTS refuse to let you go overseas?!

Yeah, it'll work out just fine - for him.

I'd not move (with or without your parents "letting" you, until you've secured a "good career" or at least some good prospective job(s) in the US in this day and age. People who live there and are qualified can't even find work.

BTW: There is no such thing as unconditional love from man to women. The 'love' part may be unconditional but there is ALWAYS condition within the relationship. Even Jesus (if you believe) had conditions on his love for you
    "He who soever believeth in me shall have everlasting life and dwell in the kingdom of our lord for ever and ever" The condition of course, that you believe in him. He'll still love you but you can't live with him if you don't do what he says. The condition in your relationship, op is you either go with him or he's out of your life. That's a big condition he's placed on your love.

If neither of you are willing to concede to the other, then there is no solution and this is the end of your relationship. He's moving with or without you if I've read correctly.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 02-03-13 at 12:01 AM. Reason: ad usual, to add a thought rather then add to my post count

if you are not about to be there with him right after, it will not work.