+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Help with putting a resume together...

Help with putting a resume together...

I have a lot to cover in this topic, so I apologize if it gets a bit long-winded. Anyway, I've never put much thought into writing up a resume for myself, because I figured I'd wait until I finished college before I could really apply for anything. But, I'm tired of working a part time retail job, and I'm ready to start actually doing something, and I've found a handful of interesting internships and job listings in my area that I'd like to try my hand at.

I've come to realize that I have a bit of a passion for audio/ video editing, producing, etc. (and I'm interested in learning further about things like live broadcasting, etc.). Unfortunately, the degree I'm working towards is a business degree, and at this point, it's a little too late for me to switch over to a more appropriate degree, unless I want to spend more years in school.

And again, the only job experience I have is one part time job in retail, which has mostly been cashiering, stocking shelves, and helping customers.

I have, however, taught myself a number of useful software programs for this kind of work (although, many of the programs I use are free alternatives, as opposed to the paid programs you'd probably find in a professional setting, but I find they're often similar enough that I could probably jump to a better program without much trouble). I know how to use Audacity (and GoldWave, although I haven't used this one in ages, once I switched to Audacity) to record and edit audio, apply effects, cut things, and silence out any noises that may have gotten picked up in recording (such as background noises, or the sound of breathing in between sentences). I've become good at using VideoPad Video Editor (I plan to switch over to Adobe Premiere Pro 2 in the future, though) to put together videos, apply effects, make sure transitions go smoothly, and if audio was recorded in a separate recording, I have a knack for making sure it syncs up correctly with the video. I can basically use GIMP to edit images for whatever purpose I may need.

Anyway, I'm just not really sure how to present myself on a resume, given my education, work experience, and actual skills. Technically, I don't even know how to properly demonstrate your software experience on a resume, like, how you actually list it out.

So, if anyone could help me out and give me some guidance, that would be much appreciated.

Put your business degree hat back on for a moment:

If you were a prospective employer and you see one guy with software knowledge and someone else with software knowledge AND a degree (and possibly having done an internship as part of the degree), who would you pick?

If you want a competitive edge, you'll really have to think about that degree.

Another option is to continue in business but keep this as a hobby: Volunteering for community radio could be an option.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I guess. But, I mean, I'm really not interested in getting a traditionally "business-oriented" career. I kinda just went with that because I was dragging my feet on settling on a major for so long that the grants I was getting ran out, so I settled on a business major just to finish up something. My mentality was that business is general enough to be applicable for anything. Besides, I've heard plenty of people say that you're not "locked in" to only getting a job in a certain field just because that's what you got your degree in.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily expecting to jump right into a full time career right; I'm actually looking for internships for this kind of thing. I figure as long as I have some skills and an interest, I should stand somewhat of a chance at getting an internship in this line of work. I've found a handful of internships I'm interested in applying for, but I need to draw up a resume that would be attractive to them, yanno?

Then I guess you'll have to put a lot of detail into the Interests and Hobbies section of your resume
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.