+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can you have discussions about online dating here?

Can you have discussions about online dating here?

Just wondering those of you who have been on here for a long time... is it within the forum rules to have a discussion about online dating or online dating sites? I tried to start a discussion about a new concept I ran into in the world of "online dating" and my post was deleted in a matter of hours. I noticed a few other posts on this forum asking similar things about other sites so I am a bit confused. I'm wanting to have a healthy discussion about this topic however I also don't want to break the rules... Didn't think I was but now that my post has been deleted it's making me wonder.

I am thinking that if a post about online dating comes across as promotional... Otherwise, the types such as: "Derpa derp, how do I get responses on online dating sites?" and "Herp a derp, she hasn't responded to my message in LYKE OMGZ 2 days. Do I give up?" are fine since they don't promote any particular site.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Thanks LR. I was careful not to mention the site name so it didn't look spammy. I only talked about the concept... IDK whether it was an admin or something else that deleted it. Guess I can try again.

Quite an active forum overall... Didn't picture myself as being able to help anybody - more like needing the help myself. But I'm finding I've been in alot of the situations people are asking for help on and I've offered advice. Kinda neat

Perhaps you might post it in the Off Topic discussion, as well. It sort of is off topic when you think about, if marginally but it's better to try do as best as possible not to draw the ire of LoveAdmin.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by renegade235 View Post
    Just wondering those of you who have been on here for a long time... is it within the forum rules to have a discussion about online dating or online dating sites? I tried to start a discussion about a new concept I ran into in the world of "online dating" and my post was deleted in a matter of hours. I noticed a few other posts on this forum asking similar things about other sites so I am a bit confused. I'm wanting to have a healthy discussion about this topic however I also don't want to break the rules... Didn't think I was but now that my post has been deleted it's making me wonder.
    Hi There, yes you can, but sometimes the spam filter catches those posts and removes them automatically. There is no restriction about what you talk about in the forum as long as you're not advertising. I periodically check the filter, but today I didn't see anything there from you.

**Found it, LoveAdmin did indeed remove it, he thinks you're just trying to find a way to advertise some new dating site.
    Last edited by Over The Fence; 13-03-13 at 06:27 AM.

Well I'm not which is why I was respectful and didn't mention the site specifically. And still get my post removed... How about all the people on here that do mention site names? Aren't they advertising whether they want to or not? I must ask how you are supposed to have any sort of conversation about any branded product without mentioning it specifically... I could see if you were spamming links or something but just talking about something and getting hushed seems to be simply unethical. Here's what I posted verbatim - I was curious myself what set them off and found it still in my cache - I personally can't imagine what they find wrong with it:

"I have been using online dating for about 3 years and I've talked to dozens of people. I have found a few nice people in the roughly 3 years, but overall I've been disappointed. It just seemed like you had to talk to 10 idiots to find one person who was decent. I have tried alot of online dating sites - I spent most of my time on POF. But after becoming frustrated with not getting the results I wanted with any of them I decided something was just missing with dating online.

A while back I tried a different website and I guess what I'm wanting is opinions. I registered back in February and I've since read through more of their material and so far I'm impressed. I have had other sites try to match me with someone and it just doesn't work. It doesn't really tell you anything about the person when you think about it. These guys give you an evaluation - and I'm telling you it's the longest I've seen by far. When I first started taking the test I could tell it was different. Then they rate everybody's ability to have a relationship as a percent. Maybe that's what's missing in other sites? What do you all think?? I have already talked to several people on the site and it doesn't seem to be the same old junk I'm used to. Wish there were more local people but this site seems to be pretty new."

I think it's somewhat reputation based, as in, you're a new user here. Lots of spammers just sign up to post spam and then disappear.