+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend and I have to break up because her parents think she is too young

Girlfriend and I have to break up because her parents think she is too young

Hi! I am new to this forum and my name is Aaron.

I am 21 years old and I recently dated this amazing girl for almost 2 months (now broke up) and I cannot express how much I like her.
    The problem is that her parents think that we are too young to date but I am not entirely sure if that is the real reason behind, or maybe they simply just didn't like me? As yes, I am 21 and my girlfriend is 20, still relatively young, but one would think that it is normal for adolescents at this age to start dating?
    And my now ex-girlfriend mentioned that it would probably be fine when she grows older (by that, her parents probably mean either when she reaches 24 or when she graduates) I am just wondering if it would be futile to wait for her till then?

I am an international student, so by the time I graduated, I am not sure if I could stay to get a job and even if I were to get a job, I am not sure if we would be close to each other in terms of location, even provided if our friendship still remains strong.

Just wondering if I could hear some other people's opinions or just simply some encouragement to make it easier for me to wait. Cheers!

Aaron, you've got an Aussie flag there....but this is totally unheard of in Australia. Is the woman you're referring to Australian?

Anyway, without more info, my gut feeling says that if a girl is still monopolised by her parents when she's 20, then they will always be a problem. I suggest you view this as a warning rather than a hurdle to overcome.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Too young to date at 20? At 20 you are judged as being an adult not an adolescent. She's old enough to make up her own mind. If my parents had tried to dominate me in such a way when I was 20 I'd have told them to get stuffed.
    I agree with Basil. If she's letting them rule her now then it'll always be the case.

Hi friends,

She is an Australian born Chinese and I am Chinese myself. I am sure her parents are just being protective of their daughter and it is probably rather common in traditional asian families. She is a really nice and gentle girl, I simply just don't want to give up so soon. Thanks for you advice though
    Last edited by AaronC; 18-05-13 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
    Hi friends,

She is an Australian born Chinese and I am Chinese myself. I am sure her parents are just being protective of their daughter and it is probably rather common in traditional asian families. She is a really nice and gentle girl, I simply just don't want to give up so soon. Thanks for you advice though
    Well good luck with that then - dealing with parents stuck in some 18th century mindset wouldn't ring my bell that's for sure. But good luck. I expect she'll be allowed to talk to you when she's 30, perhaps hold hands when she's 40 and then shag your brains out but only after her parents have died.