+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speed dating

speed dating

Hi I am really interested in going to a speed dating event being held next Friday, any opinions on speed dating?

I wont lie I am quite nervous I guess I wont know anyone there and I will feel like everyones judging me

Go for it.

thanks I mean I have nothing to loose I guess, I am gonna make a good effort to try and really try and shine
    what should I wear? a shirt and smart jeans and casual shoes?, a fitted tshirt and jeans, a suit? im lost

Don't try to be anything or anybody that you are not. Keep it simple. Dress in whatever you feel most comfortable. Remember, while you think you need to make such an impression on others , the other people are also thinking the same thing.

yeah I guess so apparently its in a small like venue where women sit at tables and guys go around and speak to them and have 3 minutes to say their bit, I guess 3 minutes isn't a long time I haven't done this kind of thing before but I think its a good way of breaking the ice, I feel like I need a stiff drink before I do it

I feel, if you go in the impression, that it was just something you wanted to try, I'm not expecting much out of it, and i hope someone likes me, but it wont be the end of the world, if they don't.

Have low expectations, and you wont be disappointed with whatever happens, just talking about is on your mind, some interests worth mentioning, talk about what she is wearing, anything interesting recent that has happened on the news, as sometimes if you try and make up stuff on the spot, it seems as though we are nervous, so only talk about what you enjoy and see yourself doing.

thanks for the type I will try and be myself and just chat and I guess just be friendly not overly flattering because that's odd for someone u don't know but enough to be polite and I guess just chatty talking about the gym, travelling, etc etc, I guess just being myself
    and as u say low expectations if I enter with a light hearted not serious mood I will leave with one.

I have done speed dating twice. It is actually a lot of fun. Yea, just be yourself. Talk about what you like to do, and what they like to do for fun. Keep it light. It goes really, really fast. As soon as you start to get into talking with someone, it is time to switch.

ah no, really I cant wait then! should be fun maybe ill meet a nice girl, pretty, elegant, smart, loyal, friendly and down to earth,
    sick of young airhead bitchs who pretend to be wifey in the beginning and then turn into a lil skank a few years in.

Quote Originally Posted by alonebeast View Post
    thanks for the type I will try and be myself and just chat and I guess just be friendly not overly flattering because that's odd for someone u don't know but enough to be polite and I guess just chatty talking about the gym, travelling, etc etc, I guess just being myself
    and as u say low expectations if I enter with a light hearted not serious mood I will leave with one.
    low expectations, as in just going in there to have fun, and just make them smile.

Laughter with funny things that might have happened at work or with your fellow friends.

I would crack a joke at this speed dating thing, but that's me, about how much time we are given and if you really find someone compatible in such a short amount of time.

If you get nervous, just keep in mind that the girls who'll be there are in the same position as you. They're putting themselves out there to be judged as well. Seeing it that way should make it easier for you to relax. There are a couple of things you can do that will help you remember this. Focus on trying to put the girls at ease. Then, keep in mind that you're trying to decide who's right for you as well. Don't be afraid to show interest in the girls and ask questions that could help you figure this out. Seeing as it's your first time doing something like this, I'd be inclined to view it as a practice session if I was you. If you happen to get a date with a great girl, then wonderful. If not, you'd have gotten an opportunity to practice speaking with girls, and there's always next time. Good luck!
    “This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

watch take me out to get some tips. The guys on that have like 60 seconds to impress and they normally just talk about themselves and their life. Thats all you need to do.

Talk about your job, whether you like it or not, what it involves briefly, then maybe talk a little about your family (if family are important to you) you could say "family mean a lot to me, I am close to my relatives and we spend time together every week catching up which is something I enjoy (men who are close with their family are seen as a catch as they make good husbands lol), and then just point out a few of your good qualities (most women want to hear the word loyal thrown in their somewhere but only say it if it really is true-trust is important). You could then mention one of your hobbies and why you enjoy it)

Try to say all that in 90 seconds and then you can say "enough about me, tell me about you"

Id say its similar to an interview and would be a little formal. Do people bring a pen and paper to these things? If you talk to ten girls, your not gonna remember all their names lol.

awesome thanks for all the replies I am definitely considering going despite the cost and my nerves! but I've got nothing to loose and yeah well I can only be myself
    thanks all !

if nothing else it will boost your confidence go not expecting a date, just a laugh and see what happens. dont get nervous over it. its just a bit of fun and you may or may not meet someone but either way your on the right path and it will give you more confidence for the future

What is there to be nervous about?
    It's speed dating. They will forget your face right after you leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast