+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm in Love With My Friend and I'm Not Sure How to Proceed

I'm in Love With My Friend and I'm Not Sure How to Proceed

Some background information:
    I recently started college (just finished my freshman year). I play handbells in a choir at a local church and through this group, I met this girl. We immediately hit it off (partly because she was my ride to practice). I soon realized that I had a crush on her. As we talked more and more, this crush developed into the strongest feelings I've ever had about anyone. I'm assuming this is what love feels like for various reasons such as not wanting to look at other women (which is very hard since I work at a pool) because I feel it's being unfaithful to her and just the intensity of the aforementioned feelings. I've always tried to help her out when I can. For example, she was struggling with one of her classes (and the final) that I happened to understand pretty well (and had AP credit for), so I offered my help (fyi, I apparently helped a lot since she got an A on her final and the class).

Question
    To make a long story short, the school hosted a dance that I almost asked her to but I chickened out. A few days ago, as we were talking, I let her know this. She said that had I asked she would've done everything in her power to go with me. Should I take this as a sign that she might be interested in me?

In general, how would I be able to tell if she might be interested?

Furthermore, should I wait until I get back to school to try to start a more serious relationship with her? The reason why I'm asking is that she lives in the town where my university is located, and I'm about 2.5 hours away (same state though). Assuming she would say yes, I wouldn't be opposed to starting something now though obviously I wouldn't be able to go on a date or anything until school starts again.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions for clarification or anything, feel free to ask. If you have advice in general, also feel free to post it. Thanks to all in advance for taking time to read this and/or help me!

Quote Originally Posted by atlbravesfan321 View Post
    Some background information:
    I recently started college (just finished my freshman year).

I met this girl (she was my ride to practice). I realized a crush on her and feelings developed by talking.

---- not wanting to look at other women, since (I work at a pool) not wanted to be unfaithful.

ex, she was struggling to pass a class, I offered to help (she got an A on her final, and class).

Question ????
    school hosted a dance, but I chickened out and told her later, She said that she would've gone.

she lives in the town where my university is located, and I'm about 2.5 hours away (same state though).

If yes, I wouldn't mind hanging out, but can't until school starts again.
    Should I take this as a sign that she might be interested in me?
    Well, she said that she might have gone, not sure why you didn't go, should've done it regardless, to show her that you wanted to spend that time with her.
    The more you put off things, the more she wont consider you more then just a friend, so you better act fast, before she meets someone else, and you'll lose your chance, opportunities are there to be taken, and if you wait, who knows if she'll still be available.

In general, how would I be able to tell if she might be interested?
    She'll only be interested, by the effort you put in.
    If you drive and want to show how much you care about her, 2.5 hours shouldn't bother you, and could see her every weekend, if you wanted.

Furthermore, should I wait until I get back to school to try to start a more serious relationship with her?

You need to decide, if this is the girl you want to see how things work out, if it's worth investing.

I can give suggestions, but decide on your own, and gut feeling.

Personally, I would love to make the drive to go see her, though the issue is I work everyday and I do not have access to a car in which I would be allowed to make such a trip. As for asking her out, I want to do it at the right time. When would that be. My only issue as it stands right now is that I'd have to do it through a text or Facebook. Is there anything wrong with doing so by those means? I'm aware best case scenario would be to ask in person, but that will be impossible for about 2.5 months. Lastly, would you have any tips for asking her? I mean, this is obviously a lot more serious than asking her to a simple dance and i couldn't manage to do that. I was thinking of being a bit creative and writing a poem with the question hidden inside. Any ideas or advice?