+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ mental counselling.

Help w/ mental counselling.

I've known for quite a while that I have some phychological issues that need to be worked out. The problem with this is I have no way of paying for it. I need to get some help before it gets really bad, or really, any worse than it is.
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to find somewhere I can get this kind of help for free seeing as I can't pay for it?
    "Life is what you make it, watch your Karma and you will be happy in life. Always trust your heart and let God guide you as he will never lead you astray."

It seems to me that you said you are a religious person. The clergyman at your church will be able to offer some limited counseling (if you are from a reputable church) and will be able to help you find some professional help based on your ability to pay, either through a social service organization or perhaps a professional congregant from your church.

Unfortunately I haven't attended church since I was twelve years old.
    I have a friend that might be able to help but I still can use all the advice I can get here.
    "Life is what you make it, watch your Karma and you will be happy in life. Always trust your heart and let God guide you as he will never lead you astray."

White, in the States, about the only way you can get 'free' counselling is to get yourself 5150'd (involuntary outpatient commitment). Believe me, you DO NOT want that, nor do you want to behave in any way that causes someone else to exact that statute on you.

Frankly, I have my doubts on the counselling point, anyway. ALL you need to do is quit being so self-centered and selfish. You sound like an only child who's always been given everything he wants and spoiled and, now that he isn't getting something, goes off a deep end figuratively stomping his feet in place and whining.

You really do need to let things go, man. Otherwise, someone else MAY have you put in lockup whether you want it or not. You'd be AMAZED at how sensible and well balanced you suddenly become once you hear that steel door slam shut and the lock turn behind you, knowing that NOTHING you can do or say will unlock it for the next for 21 days.

I agree with whaywardj!...You need to start looking at things differently and possibly take a different approach on moving on. I suggest you get rid of anything that even reminds you of her and by taking small steps, start participating in some sort of activity to keep yourself busy.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Well I'm not an only child, I have two younger brothers and the youngest get's whatever he want's. Everything I've ever had in my life, I had to get it myself. I have never been handed anything.
    I do know that I do need some therapy. It's a long story about my life that would explain why and I don't really want to bore you all with it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon20na
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to find somewhere I can get this kind of help for free seeing as I can't pay for it?

When in doubt, turn to blind faith!

Let me save you some time, effort and money, White. The only purpose of psychotherapy (no meds) or physchiatric therapy (meds) is to do what needs to be done to better integrate you into the society in which you find yourself. If a person is going to deliberately isolate themselves from any society (socializing), neither will avail them of anything. If a person DOES NOT expose themselves to stimuli different from those their own imagination conjures up, they will not be motivated to overcome isolationist or obsessive tendencies. It has been said that no one knows how "talking therapy" (psychotherapy) works; it just does. There's really no great mystery here. It works because it puts you in a position of having to respond and/or react to stimili different than those of your own making. Just getting out and interacting with the world at large makes all the difference. You don't need to know how it works, or even if it's working at all. Just getting out of yourself is all it takes. Get a good book and head out to a coffee shop. Just the physical act of walking will change your perspective for the better. Really.
    Last edited by whaywardj; 05-07-05 at 02:12 AM.

Go see other people, jump into the world and start analyzing yourself by yourself! You have already made progress since you confessed yourself the problem. Analyze yourself, think why you do the things you do etc. You can find solutions by yourself!
    Don't expect anything.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well if you're willing to open up, what kinda mental problems do you feel that you have? i personally think that a lot of these problems are a figment of the mind. yes, there are exceptions, however i feel that many of these problems are non-exsitant. stress is only a way of dealing with shit when you can't handle it.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

If you are serious about getting help, for anything, I would suggest you do either of the following:

#1. Go talk to a minister of a church. It doesn't matter if you believe in whatever they tell you. Most churches nowadays require their ministers to be well versed in the areas of psychology and general counseling. Don't think that just because they preach the "Good Message" they are going to bang you on the head with a Bible and tell you to get your ass in church.

Some might, but most are generally willing to help you through just about anything, and at the very least tell you someplace else you are willing to get some help.

Sit down with a phone book, call the nearest large church, and ask if you can meet with the minister.

#2. Call a local psychiatric clinic and tell them your situation. Tell them you can't pay for shit, and you don't know what to do. They can and should point you in the right direction. If you have medical insurance, most larger companies will now pay for mental health. Blue Cross/Blue Shield for example.

If you can are actually serious about doing something to better your life, do either of the 2 above. You can either be serious about getting help, or you can mope about what the problems are. If you aren't serious, then you will sit back and blame the world for everything and then do nothing. But if you are serious, and not just out for attention, try either of the above and see what happens.

All it takes is a step forward to stop moving back.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

Well thank you Cybog, I'll actually try both. I don't have any medical insurance, unfortunately.
    I'll get on that as soon as I can, because I do feel that I need it. I think some of it has to do with what caused my last relationship to end and that's what brought this upon me.

Tone Guest
    No offense, I feel for you and all white, but it's getting a little old when EVERY post you make across all boards has to reference your ex and the relationship you guys had in some way and I think if you just stop focusing so much on it (I know it's hard) you will find out you won't need as much mental counseling at all.

Just get out there and hang out with your friends more, take up a new hobby, go to the gym like Tommy said, just find SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get you to stop sitting around thinking about your ex and feel sorry for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    No offense, I feel for you and all white, but it's getting a little old when EVERY post you make across all boards has to reference your ex and the relationship you guys had in some way and I think if you just stop focusing so much on it (I know it's hard) you will find out you won't need as much mental counseling at all.

Just get out there and hang out with your friends more, take up a new hobby, go to the gym like Tommy said, just find SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get you to stop sitting around thinking about your ex and feel sorry for yourself.

k i dont know anything about what your problem is, but im legally classified as mentally disabled because of major depression, and anxiety disorder..i stopped taking meds around a year or so ago, after trying them for a year, now im currently self medicating myself as of about 4 days ago but anyway my point was to say this: counselling can help, when i was still going, it definitaly helped, but its something even a friend can do for you, but its sometimes easier with someone whos trained to LISTEN and evaluate after listening, and someone whos completely unbiased in opinion, id say find a way to get to it if your willing to try, but...and this is a big but, nothing will change for you because of it, its just an emotional and mental outlet, a way to vent on a weekly (or whatever frequency they want to see you) basis. its not nessessary if you have other ways to vent. but it can still be helpful. something you should probly realize, is this girl is just a girl, one of millions on this planet, and shes not special, or unique in any way, none of you are. your all ****ing crazy. at least at my age, your all crazy as hell...but yeah another point is white: in future relationships, realize that it WILL fail at some point in time, at a young age this is something that can help you to not get so attached. realizing the inpermanence of the connection you will share with any female. it comes and it goes, it feels good and it hurts, but this is all part of life, when me and my first loves relationship ended, i was devastated, i let it destroy me, something ive skipped along the side of since then, because it only took once for me to promise to myself i wouldnt let another female have that much power over me, and it slowly, painfully, joyfully gets easier every time they go, and i find myself caring less and less, and that my friend is me loving myself more than anyone im with, and i feel that is something important for me to do, considering my mental 'issues' or whatever. k im just rambling now and this probly makes 0 sense, im going to smoke a bowl of dank, i hope something was helpful although i doubt so.
    im the shit like mr.hanky

THROWING ROOTBEARS IN YO FRIDGE BEHATCH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast