+ Follow This Topic

Thread: anonymous online counselling

indigosoul Guest

anonymous online counselling

So, OK. What do you think of this?

Many ppl/couples are uncomfortable w/the idea of going to couples counselling and exposing their problems to a 3rd party. I suppose the truly paranoid could worry that there is always a chance that your counsellor might somehow break confidentiality and let out that things aren't all hunky-dory w/your relationship. I suppose this could even be a valid concern... counsellors have kids, spouses, secretarys, etc. There's that 6-degrees rule.. chances are somebody knows somebody who knows you. Especially in a local, professional community.

Anyway, what do you think of the idea of online, anonymous counselling? I'm talking the real deal, mind. With certified pyschologists, counsellors, etc. from an accredited school, say, Harvard or the like. You could pay anonymously for a certain number of hours and get the help you need w/o the "embarrassment" of your professional colleagues ever finding out that you like to smell Auntie Mabels unwashed undies, or whatever.

What do you think? Could this work? Does this kind of thing even exist? I can see many advantages and few disadvantages, provided the service was on the up & up (which is relatively easy to ensure, I think).

Eww. Reminds of a scene out of THX 1138.

But, do you mean something like this: [url]http://www.thecounselors.com/?[/url]

The site seems very poorly designed...Not very pro.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

I'll bet you turn away women who aren't Vogue beauties, too.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    Eww. Reminds of a scene out of THX 1138.

But, do you mean something like this: [url]http://www.thecounselors.com/?[/url]
    Why, eww, W??

Sort of like the link you sent. But I'd prefer ppl w/degrees from schools I've actually heard of...

I'll bet you turn away women who aren't Vogue beauties, too.
    lol..well seriously, whaywardj!...If they want people to even consider signing up for the service, do you not think profesional website would be better? And where did the stuff above come from?
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

The film THX 1138. Religious 'confession' and psychological 'counselling' were all a matter of stepping into a booth, sliding your debit/credit card, and pouring out your soul to a computer monitor. "Eww."

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u
    lol..well seriously, whaywardj!...If they want people to even consider signing up for the service, do you not think profesional website would be better? And where did the stuff above come from?
    Indi was asking about content, not style. I just shot over something along the lines she was pondering that's been around since 1996 to indicate, yes, it's been done. Actually, in the US, there's a huge legal snag with the entire proposition of online counselling. Mostly revolves around compliance with HIPPA laws.

And BTW, I was teasing you with the Vogue beauty remark. Hope you understood that.

Indi was asking about content, not style. I just shot over something along the lines she was pondering that's been around since 1996 to indicate, yes, it's been done. Actually, in the US, there's a huge legal snag with the entire proposition of online counselling. Mostly revolves around compliance with HIPPA laws.

And BTW, I was teasing you with the Vogue beauty remark. Hope you understood that.
    ahh, got ya! Yea, i thought so but wasn't sure.

My only concern, indigo, with the online counseling is that so much of what we "say" is conveyed through body language which cannot be discerned on a computer screen. Oftentimes body language speaks much louder than the words we use, particularly when what we are writing can be edited before posting.

I think that's why, shh!, about as far as it's got as a going concern are the Dear Abbey type things.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    My only concern, indigo, with the online counseling is that so much of what we "say" is conveyed through body language which cannot be discerned on a computer screen. Oftentimes body language speaks much louder than the words we use, particularly when what we are writing can be edited before posting.
    The truly savvy can fake body language as well as the written word. I was thnking of the case of someone who wouldn't be comfortable w/a "live" person, but might be able to open up to a "mere screen". Better than nothing, huh? At some point, the medium is irrelevant if someone just won't open up no matter what.

The legal issues are interesting. Didn't realize this was a problem.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    with this conseling being online, there must be a chat interaction where people could interact on a constant basis. however, i feel that the person to person effect is lost during the internet, which is a reason why i feel that it's less likely to work. from your peers online, how many do you really take serious, and how many of them do you actually listen to?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Tone Guest
    These are people who are trained to study human psychology. I'm sure rather than your husband being a mastermind who can outwit psychiatrists, he's just not fully giving it a chance. Sounds like with that on top of the fact he wants to do it anonymously it's almost as if he isn't even admitting there is a problem. What's the big deal, you guys have problems, welcome to 100% of the human population on earth.

Like said, in person they can read your body language and if your husband is so against them to begin with, going online he will be able to just think out his responses even more and say what he thinks they want to hear. I just think your husband needs to open up more to the experience.