+ Follow This Topic

Thread: going with your gut feeling

going with your gut feeling

does everyone actually go with their gut feeling. sometimes it can be wrong i think

i know a few years ago i was dating a girl and i had a feeling she was cheating on me. i did some investigation and turns out she wasn't. we ended up breaking up because she couldn't handle me always thinking she was cheating on me, due to my gut feeling. I think if you tell yourself she is cheating, it can give you that gut feeling when you are wrong actually

anyone have any stories?

I have my doubts with my boyfriend and he tells me no. It's really our minds and insecurities. If she was cheating and you were a secure, confident person that really loved her and you loved yourself also you wouldn't be worrying until someone told you or she herself confessed.

I don't have stories but sometimes it is only you that knows that person and their behaviour and it is why you get the gut feeling.

Sorry but "gut feeling" only work in making decisions based on facts you know are true. So don't be a dummy next time.

While I do believe in the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy, I also trust my intuition a lot. It's rarely wrong. I get messed up when I ignore it, actually.

But, sometimes we do work towards a sabotaging outcome, regardless of our intention.

As far as my husband and close friends and family go I trust my instinct, it's never yet steered me wrong, though I'm lucky that the important people in my life are very honest people - they have other faults for sure, but being truthful isn't one of them.

As far as strangers or people I don't know very well go, I tend to ignore what my gut tells me and give then the benefit of the doubt because my instinct is often wrong (i.e. people I don't like on first impressions tend to grow on me and people I like on first impressions often disappoint me over time). Maybe I'm just strange lol.

I don't believe anyone who says their "gut" has never been wrong. That's just silly. Nothing in this world works perfectly. If all it took was relying on a "gut feeling" to get through life, we'd have no need for facts, logical deduction, accumulated knowledge, instruments fine-tuned to act as quantitative gauges, etc. What people call a "gut feeling" is, at least in part, a subconscious accumulation of knowledge based on repeated experiences. So maybe "something just tells me" I don't like a certain person, and I tell myself I'm not sure why I feel that way. But then if I think harder, it occurs to me that his body language or speech breaks are similar to some people I once knew who were dishonest.

i trust my instincts. they have not let me down before when it comes to men. in general i have no trust issues and feel secure and confident in myself. and any time in the past that i felt something was wrong-i trusted myself and walked away. i was dating a guy for about 8months when i was 17. first 7months no issues. then i suspected something so i dumped him-a week later i found out i was right.

i remember two guys i went on a few dates with also. got a bad feeling, didnt bother seeing either of them again and in the following months i heard a lot of bad things about both that proved my instincts right.

i think if your the insecure paranoid type or if you smoke weed etc-then you prob shouldnt trust your gut but iv never been the paranoid jealous type so i do trust my intuition. if something feels wrong it usually is
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".