+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happily Married or in a Committed LTR? Share your story!

Happily Married or in a Committed LTR? Share your story!

It's so difficult to find a partner. When they said I'd have to kiss a lot of frogs they never said it would be literally in the hundreds.

After dating for 20 years I think it is impossible to find someone who you want a relationship with and who wants a relationship with you. It's just me wanting a relationship and them just wanting sex.

Has anyone found a great relationship? How did you meet them and how many frogs did you have to kiss to find them?

I've been with my partner for 20 years. We were introduced by mutual friends. I broke every rule in the book - I was freshly separated from my ex, we had sex on the day we met, I moved in with after six months and we've been living happily ever after. It's probably more about good luck than good management.....but all's well that ends well

I have to say that some of the perennially singles I know have expectations which may make finding a partner more difficult. My guy is an average joe in appearance and I'm taller than him. He's not tertiary educated, though he has worked his way up the ranks. What I look for is personality and approach to life and my guy is just right for me.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I met my bf 5 years ago at a nightclub. I think I was very lucky to meet someone who ticks all the boxes coz I know for a lot of people it is not easy to find. I was very fussy though, set my standards quiet high and I randomly met him at 19. I dated a lot of guys in the year before that-nothing serious, no sex-just casually getting to know lots of different guys (one at a time lol). The longest one of them lasted was a month and it was me doing all the dumping during that time. With most of them it was either lack of chemistry or lack of physical attraction but they were nice guys. With a few it was a lack of trust in them

Everyone in my family met their other half young and are still together now. My parents met at 14-they have a very good happy marriage. My aunt and uncle met at 17, other aunt and uncle met at 18, cousin met his gf at 15 (they have a 3 year old now and live together-very happy), my aunt met her husband at 21.

Overall they all have great relationships and are quiet happy. They have been good role models for me in deciding what I want and in choosing a good man for myself
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

I have neither, used to have one I thought was a possible road to marriage but nopes. I always wanted to marry early and start my family early too.
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

Quote Originally Posted by 4blossoms View Post
    It's so difficult to find a partner. When they said I'd have to kiss a lot of frogs they never said it would be literally in the hundreds.

After dating for 20 years I think it is impossible to find someone who you want a relationship with and who wants a relationship with you. It's just me wanting a relationship and them just wanting sex.

Has anyone found a great relationship? How did you meet them and how many frogs did you have to kiss to find them?
    I've been with my husband 11 years, married for 8, and he's awesome, I couldn't have wished for a better guy. We met in school and I'd kissed zero frogs before he came along (kissed a couple when we had a pre-marital break though!). I don't put any stock in compatibility charts or studies on how to best bag a long-term partner - mostly I think it's all down to nothing more than luck and timing. Don't give up hope - he/she is out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by sadbunnyface View Post
    I have neither, used to have one I thought was a possible road to marriage but nopes. I always wanted to marry early and start my family early too.
    You are still young, it's still early for you!

Aw, you've been your sweetheart for a long time, you knew right away he was your one. I say early because I wanted to be married by 23 and have my first child before 25. I don't see me making that timeline at all now.
    “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”

Yeah I guess I kinda did, I can't say I knew he was 'the one' at the beginning but he was always the one I wanted to be with and that just never changed. Don't get me wrong, as awesome as he is he does have things about him that drive me nuts, but nothing I'd want to change. Really more down to luck than judgement, I think!

You could still make it to something close to your timeline, you never know who you're going to meet, things can change very quickly when you meet someone and you're on the same page - nothing's set in stone, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4blossoms View Post

Yes, I've found a great relationship.

Yes, I kissed a lot of frogs... married three of 'em. Was wrong three times, and KNEW I was wrong when doing it.

There's a trick to it - don't be too deeply involved with "Mr. Right Now" when "Mr. Right" comes along.

You'll find him pursuing the same hobbies/activities that you pursue. Not at work, not at a bar... but voluntarily doing the same sorts of things you do for fun.

I've never had a "great" one, but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Don't give up, OP. I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I met my bf 5 years ago at a nightclub. I think I was very lucky to meet someone who ticks all the boxes coz I know for a lot of people it is not easy to find. I was very fussy though, set my standards quiet high and I randomly met him at 19.
    If your 23 now and u met him at 19, then that would be 4 years ago, not 5.

Quote Originally Posted by sadbunnyface View Post
    I wanted to be married by 23 and have my first child before 25. I don't see me making that timeline at all now.
    sadbunny, the trick in finding 'the one' is to be ruthless and straight away reject those who aren't Mr Right. Wasting time with the wrong person means that you are not only miserable but you're also missing new opportunities.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why is basilandthyme dead now?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    why is basilandthyme dead now?
    Yeah, wtf? She's one of the best posters...

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Yes, I've found a great relationship.

Yes, I kissed a lot of frogs... married three of 'em. Was wrong three times, and KNEW I was wrong when doing it.
    Married three times? have you ever thought that you may be the problem?!

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverLover View Post
    Married three times? have you ever thought that you may be the problem?!
    I was. Partly at least. Fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast