+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Please help: Is my girlfriend being unreasonable?

Please help: Is my girlfriend being unreasonable?

I had a heated argument with my girlfriend last night over something I consider silly, but she obviously does not.

The story goes, a few days ago, on my birthday, I got home (live with my brother) from work and was about to order some food. My brother spontaniously suggested we go out for dinner up the street and so we did.

Last night when I told my girlfriend we (me & my brother) went for dinner together, she got really mad for not telling her and even said what I did is "like cheating". She was also really angry that I didn't mention it until a day after. (I didn't think it was important enough to mention when we exchanged texts that day, but she clearly does)

We argued on the phone for about 2 hours and it was getting really nasty. I, for the life of me could not understand why she's getting angry over such a silly issue, and she was equally angry for me not getting her point of view.

So, can anyone please tell me if I've done something wrong which deserves such a harsh berrating? Is my girlfriend being unreasonable, or am I in the wrong?

Thanks!

lalalita Guest
    I could understand your girlfriend getting upset with you if you went out for a wild night of drinking and partying with a large group of people and didn't mention it to her....but...going to get dinner with your brother down the street from your house? That is unreasonable.

I could maybe even understand her being a little irked (emphasis on little) that you didn't tell her what you were up to, but comparing it to cheating? That's ridiculous.

Was she upset that you did something on your birthday without her? Or that you did something and didn't tell her right when you did it?

I'm wondering why you didn't spend the night of your birthday with her. It may be part of the puzzle.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

She is probably upset because you didnt spend time with her. Maybe she wanted to go for dinner with you
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

If there's no underlying issue (ie: you not spending the night with her) then she's crazy.

She's jealous and hurt you spent your birthday with your brother and not her..

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I'm wondering why you didn't spend the night of your birthday with her. It may be part of the puzzle.
    Exactly what I was thinking... but I do have to wonder how on earth she compares it to cheating.

Methinks someone's got some security and control issues.

It is either the birthday issue or she is straight crazy. It is pretty that black and white, no girlfriend would get mad about having dinner w yr brother for any other reason.

She's a crazy, bitch-cunt. Dump, immediately. Do her a favor and tell her she's crazy too.

Quote Originally Posted by okwhat2013 View Post
    It is either the birthday issue or she is straight crazy.
    totally agree with this.

and as for what this person said...

Quote Originally Posted by BackUpOrGetStng View Post
    She's a crazy, bitch-cunt. Dump, immediately. Do her a favor and tell her she's crazy too.
    how about giving that advice without using sexist language and making yourself sound like an asshole?

I would say she is overreacting and you should mention that to her. I also think she is upset that you didn't have her come with you. She probably felt left out and jealous because it kind of, if looked at wrong, would seem like you didn't care to spend it with her. I always found birthdays to be a big thing, especially with the person I love. I never got crazy like that, but I always liked showing my love for that person, on their birthday. It didn't matter what we did, just being with them on that day, meant something to me because I wanted to show just how much I cared.

You need to have a sit down with her, and tell her to talk to you calmly. You never let someone yell at you like that or get crazy. If they do, you walk away until they act more maturely.
    “I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.” ― Edgar Allan Poe

Wish for a pile of shit to turn into gold hard enough and guess what? It's still a heaping pile of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by perth View Post
    how about giving that advice without using sexist language and making yourself sound like an asshole?
    I don't care if you think I'm asshole. I'm also not sexist. I'm an equal opportunity asshole. Get ****ed you pussy.