+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to Read His Signs...and Move Forward!

How to Read His Signs...and Move Forward!

I had a brief but intense romance with a guy when I was studying abroad a few months ago. We knew each other from December 2012, but started dating at the end of March and continued until I left the country in May. The connection was really intense and passionate, probably elevated by the language/cultural barrier. Anyway, when I came home I realized I really wanted to see him again. Perhaps take a vacation together somewhere in the fall. From there, I don't know what would happen, but I would be open to the possibility of a long-distance relationship since we are both such avid travelers.

Anyway, I wrote him a letter detailing the feeling of "I want to see you again" (amongst other life updates of course, haha). I made no reference to relationships or love or anything like that, merely just that the idea of seeing him again made me really happy.

A few days ago I finally received his reply, and his section regarding "feelings" is very hard to read for me. It's as follows:

"I had always problems in this field because it was always hard for me to be attached to someone or to start having feelings in a certain way. It happened to me close relationships when I saw the other person starting feeling to much. I can sounds kind of sad but that’s what happened…and I don’t know why things went so often like this…if it’s just because I have such a thirst of adventures and novelty, if it’s because I’m traveling so much that I try to avoid this feelings, or if it’s just because I’m afraid of exposing myself too much (after a bad experience that I had with my first, and actually only real one, girlfriend)…I don’t really know, and probably it’s a mix of all this, and I never thought too much on that because I enjoyed like anyway and maybe even more.

But despite all this where I realize I just don’t know how to express myself properly I would be of course happy to see you again and I’m the last person which is afraid of some insignificant water!!"

I can't determine if he's preemptively saying that a relationship is out of the question or if he is saying that seeing me is an exception to this rule. (His english isn't making it much easier to determine haha!)

I know I should take it well that he is being so open with me and that he says he wants to see me again as well, but I now feel like I need to be careful in doing something that will seem intense and make him think things are moving too fast.

So, what I have come here to ask you guys is #1 What do you think he is trying to say here? #2 How can I reply to these sentiments in a way that will not "come on too strong" but still show my interest?

Thank you!!

His reply is a cryptic message, but it appears he is saying that he doesn't have the feelings because that isn't what he is looking for. Here, this is my best interpretation:

"We had fun, but I knew it was a short term thing so I didn't let myself fall for you. However, if you come around again I'll gladly have sex with you again until you leave."

If you're going to show interest, do you have a plan to ensure you can actually see each other, or will it be an indeterminable long-distance thing?
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Yep - Cerby is right.

He's telling you he doesn't want a relationship, but if you want to shag again, he's up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    His reply is a cryptic message, but it appears he is saying that he doesn't have the feelings because that isn't what he is looking for. Here, this is my best interpretation:

"We had fun, but I knew it was a short term thing so I didn't let myself fall for you. However, if you come around again I'll gladly have sex with you again until you leave."

If you're going to show interest, do you have a plan to ensure you can actually see each other, or will it be an indeterminable long-distance thing?
    Well, I was going to suggest that we meet somewhere (maybe Dublin or London...) for a week during my break from university in October. The time and money are not an issue for me, and shouldn't be an issue for him since he is a freelance worker and it would cost him less than $100.00 to fly to either of those places, and then we'd split the cost of wherever we stayed. But now, I am worried that planning/bringing this up will all seem really intense/moving too fast/too serious types of things. But it's a lose-lose because it's impossible to make these plans without being concrete! :/

So you are saying that you don't want to be too forward with hooking up again because you fear you will scare him away?

Sorry GF but you need to put your hopes of a relationship with this guy away. There have been plenty of girls like you that think you could "convince" a guy into a relationship only to be sorely disappointed. There is nothing you can do......yes I agree it's a lose lose situation.

Don't put too much faith into him; if you want a shag and some fun times when you're travelling, he's your guy. Despite the language barrier, his message isn't cryptic at all - he says he likes novelty, doesn't want to commit but 'isn't afraid of some water' - so he'll meet you again no problem, he's a traveller...but don't expect too much in terms of a future relationship.

Don't read too much into it; he probably does this a lot.