+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Relationship help?

Relationship help?

So i am 20 years old and i havent had a girlfriend ever, and i admit i am overweight and out of shape.this i am working on. But since the fact remains that ive never had a girlfriend, it worries me that i may never meet that special someone. Part of this may be because i have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a type of autism that is basically social anxiety and awkwardness. This i am sure cant help the situation. ive also been called a hopeless romantic and an idealist, i guess that sends girls running in my experience.

Anyways with that being said, ive always seen other people and people i knew in high school that were like me and find girlfriends. why cant i meet someone like that. Im not looking for sex or super model skinny girls. And im not like most guys, who are looking for a way to get laid or have 50 different girlfriend in 6 months. I want to find someone i can share genuine affection with, someone who maybe someday i can share something special with... but to no avail i find girls who are into muscled-up guys or super skinny guys. Or even douche bags. Why cant i find a girlfriend who genuinely wants a relationship, or even a girlfriend period..whats wrong with me or the way i approach relationships?

Cadena, an Aspie girl would be the one who's perfect for you. Thing is, the NT girls won't understand or appreciate your quirkiness.....and you'll find them even harder to read than the regular guys.

Speak with your local autism groups and find some social activities which you can attend and meet people.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I complete agree. Autism is complicated and quite difficult for many people to understand. You would find it difficult to understand a girl who doesn't have AS and vice versa. Meeting her emotional needs alone would be a challenge. I think it would be a great idea to join some activities where you can meet people like you who can understand you fully and relate to you. Who understand AS more than a person who has it and deals with it everyday? Nobody. So go and meet girls who get it and get you

Best of luck
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Relationship Help

I completely understand, but to be perfectly honest; its not that easy. Without giving out to many personal details, i live in Texas. And here people aren't that aware of Aspergers; in that regard there aren't a whole lot of community events or even places to go to meet others with Aspergers. Ive looked at places like meetup.com and other sites that set up community group events but to no avail. And I've searched for any Aspergers meet up or events and most are in only Austin. Which for the majority of anyone who lives in Texas, is a problem. Texas is somewhat behind the times in keeping up with modern life, not in a riding-a-horse type of way; but as far as learning about things as soon as they become public. People hear are very traditional and have small-town mentalities. Not that there's anything wrong with that but that doesn't help my situation. Ill keep searching but just wanted to let people know what its like for a aspie adult in texas. You never know anything could happen.