+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I can't get over the fact that my lovely girlfriend is 6 years older than me...

I can't get over the fact that my lovely girlfriend is 6 years older than me...

I'm a 26 year old man and I've been with my beautiful 32 year old girlfriend for over 5 years now, and I could honestly say that I am deeply in love with her. I've never felt so loved and happy before, and I believe that I want to spend the rest of my life with her. Our sex life is out of this world, and I can't keep up with her, and we also have a really deep emotional connection. I'm about to ask her to marry me, however, I'm suddenly feeling really hesitant and I think it's because she's 6 years older than me...

My girlfriend has always been a lot less mature than me, and I think that stems from the fact that she lived a very sheltered life. I was also her first real boyfriend, and she lost her virginity to me. She also looks about 10 years younger than she is, and people are always amazed that she's older than me. In essence, I've always felt like the older, and more mature person in our relationship. We are also in the same place career wise, and we both discussed wanting to have kids in about 3-4 years from now.

Despite this, though, I can't help but worry about our age difference...It feels nonexistent now, but I worry that It'll be evident in the future...At times I think that 6 years is such a small age gap and that my worries are incredibly immature and nonsensical. But at times I feel that our 6 year age difference is something to worry about, maybe not now, but in the future...

I am deeply in love with this girl, and I've never been so physically and emotionally attracted to someone before. I'm about to ask her for marriage, but I can't get rid of the nagging thought that she's older than me.

Am I crazy? Is a 6 year age difference really that big of a deal among adults?
    Last edited by MattAttak; 23-07-13 at 10:56 PM.

No you are being silly. Years ago there was always a 5-6 year gap or more between couples. Mainly the man being like 25 and his new wife being under 20.. I know a couple and she is 6 or 7 years older than him-they have a child, have been together for years and get on really well. They are happy. What different does age make?

Are you worried she will look way older than you in 20 years time or something? No matter what the age different its likely she will look older than you anyway as men age better than women in general unfortunately for us. (bastards lol)

I have already decided that I will be getting an eye lift in about 15 years time as I have genetic natural bags which look fine now but when Im older they will probably add 10 years to my appearance and I have already started saving for the procedure. An expert told me there is nothing I can do to prevent it and the only option is surgery if it bothers me when Im 35-40..

If appearance is what your worried about-dont there are options
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

You're crazy! The older you get, the less an age gap matters. I know couples with 10 years age difference, and they are perfect! The fact that you feel more mature than her, shows that age really doesn't matter here. Especially considering the fact that you guys are in the same place career wise, AND in your relationship (agreeing on a time span for kids, etc). I think you should pop the question already! You can do it! And good luck

You're crazy

How old are you both now?

I forgot to mention that I am 26 and she is 32.

Why are you so worried about this? In what way do you think the age gap will affect you in the future?

You've been with her over 5 years, and just now you "can't get over" her being 6 years older???

It's amazing to me how people sabotage their own happiness.

The one time that the age difference may matter will be approaching soon. If she wants to have kids, she will want to do that before she is 40, or maybe even 35. That won't be a problem if you're ready to settle down with her and have kids. But if you do get cold feet over that level of responsibility and commitment, she will need to break up with you.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I was just thinking the same as vince. Waiting another 3-4years could be detrimental. A lot of women stop ovulating at 30, many need IVF.. Could be an issue when you are ready.

I think you are looking for problems-maybe you want a way out? If the relationship is as good as you say it is then youd want to marry her now

It shouldn't be a concern at 42 she probably won't even look or act beyond early 30s -- if so young acting and looking now at 32. Why can't you unconditionally love her, why creep age in now?
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattAttak;925193I
    think that 6 years is such a small age gap and that my worries are incredibly immature and nonsensical ..
    I agree with you.

BTW: How do you know she'll not think you're too young for her and won't want to marry you?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion