+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My friend has got engaged

My friend has got engaged

My friend has just got engaged - its really great news but I am really fed up and jealous. I have never been the jealous kind, but I am nearing 40 and haven't ever settled down and have no kids. Its something I want to do, but worried I will be left 'on the shelf'. I mentioned to my partner this morning about the engagement and he just said 'good for them'. I said that it's great news and he said 'it is yes. Dont get any ideas'.

That kind of sums it up! Been through the whole saga of most of my friends getting married and having children.

Really fed up today.

Any advice other than me needing to get a grip!

Yes... take a look at the douche you're "partnered" up with and then decide if what you have with him is enough for you. You'll never be a married person if you stay with him by the sounds of things.

Do you live with this guy?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Yes we've lived together for 3 years - I was previously in a 9 year relationship where the guy wanted children but I didn't - cos he was an idiot towards the end. My maternal clock has suddenly jumped into action over the last couple of years and am now pretty broody. I did bring up the subject of marriage last night and he said "you don't want to get married".

I dont get it. if you want marriage why are you with a guy who doesn't

You have been living together for 3 years. Have you not asked him does he want to get married and have children? And if yes, when? Babe you will miss your chance to be a mother if you dont do something now.

If I was in your shoes, I would dump him if he doesnt want the same things, I would get a sperm doner, have a baby and then go looking for love. You are quickly running out of options and if you want children you need to ask now.

Tell your bf you want a baby now, if he says no, dump him.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by littlebee View Post
    Yes we've lived together for 3 years - I was previously in a 9 year relationship where the guy wanted children but I didn't - cos he was an idiot towards the end. My maternal clock has suddenly jumped into action over the last couple of years and am now pretty broody. I did bring up the subject of marriage last night and he said "you don't want to get married".
    "you don't want to get married" and to that, what did you have to say for yourself?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion