+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Do any guys here have experience getting tested for STDs?

Do any guys here have experience getting tested for STDs?

As I get ready to have sex for the first time, I've been talking to the first woman I'll be sleeping with about STDs and getting tested, and whatnot. She says she gets tested regularly, and that she's clean. I've told her that I've never had sex, but I feel like it might be more fair if I get tested, myself, just for the sake of mutuality. Plus, if she and I become an ongoing thing, and if we both see others on the side as well, it might be a good idea to start getting tested regularly, anyway.

I'm just curious about the process, though. Well, for one, where do you even go? I don't "have a doctor", and I haven't been to a physician since I was a kid, maybe? Not really sure where to go.

Secondly, I'm just curious about what the actual "testing" entails. What do they do to you? How is it done? How soon do you get the results back?

There should be a sex clinic in your area or you could go to a general practitioner. You will just need a simple blood test initially. If you suspect you may have something, then they may decide to take a swab from the tip of your penis too. It only takes a second and it doesn't hurt
    Last edited by michelle23; 24-08-13 at 11:07 PM.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Aren't you going to wear a condom?
    No biggie to get tested and no shame in it, better safe than sorry like they say.

Check this link it looks alright. Only glanced it but you want the info not me.
    http://www.itsyoursexlife.com/gyt/std-and-testing-faqs/
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Well of course I plan to wear a condom, but as many people have pointed out to me, that doesn't necessarily mean you still can't get something. Not to mention, oral sex, and whatnot.

Its usually nothing more than a visual inspection (if you've got any bumps or anything), blood test and a swab... its uncomfortable... and for your first time it might be a little painful... Otherwise

Most primary care physicians do it... simple as that... not tough to find one, and it will be relatively cheap. Run a search for doctors in your area, or ask friends or family that live nearby who they use.

Okay, first, let me tell you all what the nurse who tested me told me... Most diseases you can get from just a blowjob, giving or receiving. And most people don't think to wear a condom when giving or receiving a blowjob.

Second, since you live in the USA, there should be a free clinic around your town somewhere. Just google it, and I'm sure it'll come up. Call and make an appointment. Upon arrival, at least at my clinic, you'll go to the window and check in with your name, wait, and then go back where they'll ask you all sorts of questions regarding recent sexual history. They'll ask you about everything from sexuality to how many partners you've had.

Now, testing for Chlamydia and Gonnorhea is easy... You just need to provide a simple urine sample (Drink water before going). For HIV and some other stuff like syphilis, they need to take a blood sample from the vein. It usually takes about a week to process, sometimes a week and a half. If all results are negative, you'll get them over the phone. If not, they'll call you in. Most often, the day they take their samples, they give you a slip with a phone number and a serial number on it. All you have to do on the day they tell you the results will be in on is call the number and read off the serial number.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about free clinic procedures, just ask.

Rowen has it right. If you ask for a test, they'll likely just give you a urine test. That was all they did for me after a questionable one-night stand I had. If that comes back positive (mine didn't thankfully), then they'll take blood and test for HIV and syphilis, and anything else that may be in there.

It is a quick procedure, the worst part is explaining to the doctor WHY you want the test, or in my case the cute nurse I would have also like to have one-night standed.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Also, I know that sometimes they don't test you for things like herpes which is why so many people have it and don't know. Make sure you mention it to the doctor because they will sometimes use a cotton swab or something and rub it on your genital s and they send that in for testing. Fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
    Well of course I plan to wear a condom, but as many people have pointed out to me, that doesn't necessarily mean you still can't get something. Not to mention, oral sex, and whatnot.
    So how'd it go for ya? been in to get tested yet.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Just go to any clinic and say you'd like to be tested for all STI's. They will do what they can there, on spot, and send you for blood work for anything else that they can't test for. It's pretty simple.
    May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars