+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defining relationship?

Defining relationship?

Been dating someone new for 6 weeks. We spend tons of time together, not just having sex or "hanging out" but real dates, and also double dates with his or my friends. I've met all his friends & any time he goes out, I'm always invited. When the weekend comes he just says, "Ok so what are WE doing this weekend?" Talks about stuff like trips we should go on in the future etc.

Some people (mostly my friends) refer to him as my "boyfriend" and this never seems to bother him. (Like, he'll never correct them or gently talk to me about it.) Also I asked whether he's sleeping with anyone else when it came up in conversation (I wanted to discuss continuing to use condoms vs not). He gave me a clear "no." I'm thinking it's pretty clear what's going on, and I shouldn't make things awkward by bringing up a formal talk right? I'm just the type of person who always wants to know exactly where things stand.

You are having sex, but you are wondering whether or not you are in a relationship?

Yes, I slept with this person very early on, which was something I'd never done before but felt right. but sex has never been the main focus of our time together, not even close actually. Lots of times we'll just be out getting coffee and hanging out.

I don't think you understood my rhetorical question.

You are in a "relationship".

And I think it's ridiculous to be so couscous about defining it when you've gone to the final physical stage of it.
    Last edited by toknow; 02-09-13 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toknow View Post
    And I think it's ridiculous to be so couscous about defining it when you've gone to the final physical stage of it.
    Funny auto correct fail.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by learning1 View Post
    Also I asked whether he's sleeping with anyone else when it came up in conversation (I wanted to discuss continuing to use condoms vs not). He gave me a clear "no." I'm thinking it's pretty clear what's going on, and I shouldn't make things awkward by bringing up a formal talk right? I'm just the type of person who always wants to know exactly where things stand.
    At only six weeks in, I think the discussion about not seeing others is as concrete as you'll get for now. It's far too early to expect anything else.

Just learn to go with the flow
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

hes acting like your bf. i would have had the conversation 4 weeks ago BEFORE sleeping with him. yes IMO you should ask him to be exclusive and tell him you want this to be a commited relationship coz you really like him and hope he feels the same (which it looks like he does)

where i come from, its not normal to date more than one so i never needed to have this "talk" with my bf. we never defined our relationship but in the us its different and you should have done that ages ago
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

How would we know? Ask him if he considers u his gf or not.

but is that awkward to just throw out there? some of my friends are like, listen it's only 6 weeks, let things hAPPEN naturally

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Funny auto correct fail.
    Funny comprehension fail.

Quote Originally Posted by learning1 View Post
    but is that awkward to just throw out there? some of my friends are like, listen it's only 6 weeks, let things hAPPEN naturally
    Are you kidding me, you've slept with the guy and you are asking if it would be awkward to mention the word relationship!?

I just don't want to come off as over-analytical or demanding.

if he's not sleeping with anyone else and doesn't correct anyone when someone calls him your boyfriend then, im pretty sure that you're his girlfriend.

So you've been seeing him for six weeks and you're questioning using condoms?. Get to know him before you give him the privilege of going raw. I don't care what he tells you. That's a silly, inexperienced little girl for you that will get burned and cry because you don't know how it happened. I know plenty of girls that got caught up in BS. Be smart okay. Smdh.

Everyone here who isn't contributing needs to shut up and get the f*ck out of the forum. The OP is asking a question, not to be judged. I'm looking at you, toknow, you ignorant twit. Starnique, you're a close second here.

learning1, if you're not sure, ask. Relationships are about communication, and if you're only 6 weeks in and already on different pages, then long term the chances of success are slim to none. Don't make it a big formal conversation, just ask him if he considers your relationship "exclusive", because you would like it to be. It is that simple.
    Last edited by Cerby; 03-09-13 at 08:29 AM. Reason: changed wording.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast