+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from Americans :)

Need help from Americans :)

Hey guys. Im going to new york for a week in march. Im not sure how much money i need. I was thinking $1300 for food, drink, sightseeing, transport etc and another 1300 just for shopping. Is this enough or do i need more? Really appreciate some tips. The hotel and flights are already paid for

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Shift to 'Off-topic discussion' forum.
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Michelle,

I've never been to New York, but I've spent a great deal of time during the last two decades in big cities, prices should be roughly commensurate... and yeah, that's almost certainly plenty of money. Provided of course that your tastes aren't too extravagant.

Tip cab-drivers and wait-persons 15-20%, unless service is awful. Baristas at coffee houses not so much. Ask locals where the best of things are, don't rely on some travel agent who's never been there.

Great that you going to USA. That lady at gold shop was right after all. Im happy for you Michelle !
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Somebody posted this exact Q on TripAdvisor in the NYC forum a few days ago. If you don't generally use tripadvisor I suggest you head over there.

NYC is an expensive city. $1,300 for the week translates to about $185 per day which could be tight, espcially if you expect to eat & drink well.

I'd look into getting a CityPass to save money on the attractions but that is going to be about $200 so you are down to $1100 for food & transport.

Subways are cheapest but even with a metro card, you will be spending between $15 - $20 per day getting around.

You also have to budget getting to & from the AP / Hotel.

Figure $10 - $15 for breakfast although you can do it much cheaper if you either stock your hotel room from a super market or just grab a bagel & coffee.

Lunch $10 - $20 with tip. Again will you do grab & go like a slice of pizza, a dirty water dog or a burger or do you want to sit down?

You will need recommendations from others about value based restaurants but dining out in NYC can be expensive. It's not unheard of for dinner for two in some places to be over $250. Again, you can probably do lots of other options for a lot less depending on your tastes & dining styles.

Drinking is also expensive. A beer will most likely run you $7 in most places. Watch for happy hours. There are places where cocktails are over $20 each.

Thanks guys really appreciate the advice. Sorry posted in the wrong section. I got the app on my phone the other day and still figuring it out ill save as much as i can and if i need to cut down my shopping budget i will. Ive heard clothes are cheap. Id like to get my bf some jeans and tshirts and nice hoody while there (hes not coming with me) and get some dresses, shoes and casual stuff while there too for myself. The two girls i am going with are not big spenders (at all) so its unlikely we will go anywhere extravagant lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]

Clothes in New York are not cheap, unless they're counterfeit(there are tons of places to get counterfeit goods of all kinds). New York is one of the most expensive cities in the world. I think you'd get by and have a good time on 2600, but you can't really splurge on anything. I say bring more if you really want to shop, because 1300 will probably get you about as far as the first rack in the first store. I'd imagine you'll probably be spending your last few dollars on your cab ride to the airport, planning when you're coming back.

Ok thanks backkup ill try to save a bit more. What do you think though about my budget for excursions, food, drink etc 1300 enough? Im working as a manager in a fashion store right now so will prob buy new clothes every week. I dont really care if i cant afford clothes for myself in new york. Just want yo get a few bits for my bf coz hes being so sweet. He offered to give me 50 per week to help me save for it so im more focused on getting him new clothes than me to say thwnk you x

Michelle -- at certain stores, Century 21, H&M, Daffy Dan's, Lables for Less, Bolton's and Lohmann's clothes are pretty cheap. If you want real designer stuff like on Madison Avenue or at Saks Fifth Avenue, $1300 won't even get you 1 dress. You said you wanted hoodies & jeans. Those you can definitely get cheaper here than in Europe. If you have time & can find a bus to take you go to the Jersey Gardens Mall near Newark AP in NJ. You will get even more bargains there. For higher end shopping try Woodbury Commons mall near the Palisades but it's harder to get there via public trasnportation.

Thanks. With the city pass, how many attractions can we see and can we choose which ones we want? I will probably shop for similar clothes that i get at home and i have heard most lables are cheaper in new york. I will be looking for bargains

Michelle, you will like H&M. They have one where i'm at and I shop there from time to time. They have nice accessories too. You can always go to Macys. Like Dal said, you just have to know the right places. If you're looking for designer then yeah, you'll need more but thats anywhere you go but if you doing basic shopping, you'll be straight.

Thanks Star. I looked up evrrything last night. i have a list of places to shop, eat, drink and travel on a budget. Im also gonna get a city pass and try to get a broadmore show on a discount online. The only thing im stuck on now is which attractions to visit. Well prob try to fit in 5 or 6. Is there any you would recommend xx

Michelle

You can customize your city pass to some extent depending on how much time you have & how much you want to spend.

Check out the website www.newyorkpass.com Also, seriously, go to www.tripadvisor.com It's a great resource & you can download an app to your phone. I use it all the time when traveling to find restaurants.

thanks dolmom. ill defo get the app this is so confusing. i picked 7 ares that im interested in visiting. the 9museums a mile long on the east side of central park, mafame tussauds time square, flushing meadows (numerous attractions), conet island (theme park, aquarium) central park (zoo, castle, theatre) nyc skyline and ripleyes believe it or not times square.

the problem is im not sure if my 7day pass will cover all of those or are there strings attached to it

the pass i found was for 210$ for 7days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast