+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Inter continent/online dating marriage

Inter continent/online dating marriage

I found out my ex (together 6 years) went online and found a girl in South America who is 11 years younger (hes early 30s). After 2 months of contact he went over there for a week, within 3 months of that she packs up her life, says goodbye to her fam and friends and moves to him in Australia. 5 months later they are married so she can seek residential status in Oz etc. I just cant believe it, what are your guys thoughts on this? Do these marriages last? What the hell is he doing? It just seems so out of character. Thanks!

I think you should just drop it and forget about him. Why does it matter what your ex does? Maybe he wanted to do something stupid and adventurous? It's not like you have any say on what he can and can not do. Unless you two were together when he left to be with the girl and he cheated on you. But even then you should forget about him anyway.

He's your ex. The fact that you're even asking such questions tells me you have issues to deal with here.

But anyone marrying someone you barely know is really stupid.

I think its easy from an outside perspective to think that I have issues for questioning why. When you have spent so much time with someone and still care about them, I think it is natural to question their behaviour. its not like Im going to do anything about it, I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts or experiences on this other than Butt out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Summer069 View Post
    I think its easy from an outside perspective to think that I have issues for questioning why. When you have spent so much time with someone and still care about them, I think it is natural to question their behaviour. its not like Im going to do anything about it, I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts or experiences on this other than Butt out. Thanks
    I think unless you've lived in a cave your entire adult life we've all been in your situation in one form or another. The advice is to move on and look forward to that next special person. This chapter is closed

Btw....your ex seems a little reckless and is the definition of a rebound. Oh well! Just be happy for him and move on
    Last edited by surfhb2; 15-10-13 at 04:37 PM.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I've never heard of anyone thats gone half way round the world to meet someone they've only talked to online a few times, then marry them a few months after that tho! Seems so hasty. Each to their own tho, i know. thanks

Yeah....love makes people do crazy shit! My parents knew each other 2 weeks and are still married almost 50 years later

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb2 View Post
    Yeah....love makes people do crazy shit! My parents knew each other 2 weeks and are still married almost 50 years later
    Nice story. But sounds like the OPs ex is basically buying himself a nice new model that will do as she's told and open her legs when told to.

I've no doubt they're madly in love. And we've all heard stories about how you "just know" the person is the one for you. I just wonder if that love will last given the challenges they are likely to face. She will miss her family and homeland terribly and all that residency crap at such a young age! I know its none of my business, its just in my nature to analyse everything! especially when I thought I knew him well enough. PS I'm blessed to have found someone who treats me 10x better. I won't lie, initially I was jealous when I found out he was engaged (now married!), but that jealousy wore off when I learned the extent he went to! I do believe in online dating/marriages, many of my friends have found online, but not this quickly!!

Wow that winky face is ugly :S