+ Follow This Topic

Thread: If a girl touches my arm and shoulder when she wants to talk to me, does that mean sh

If a girl touches my arm and shoulder when she wants to talk to me, does that mean sh

My first post on the forum! I am a physician in training and I work in a hospital right now where there are lot of nursing students. Most of them are cute. I happen to be working on one patient together with this student. She was emptying the patient's urine bag when I accidentally saw her downblouse. I am not sure if she saw me at the moment, but after that I noticed that she is touching me a lot on my arm or shoulder when talking to me. Also at the end of the shift today, she complimented me and said that I did really good work with that patient. The patient loved me as a doctor etc. Do these things mean that she likes me? If yes, should I proceed ahead and ask her out or will it be weird? I am asking this question to ask ladies what is their opinion about this situation. Do the girls use touching and complimenting guys as a way to show they are interested? Thanks.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't touch and compliment many guys I'm not interested in. That said, there is the occasional 'tactile' person out there that just tends to touch people a lot when they talk. It always tends to be females....I do know a couple of people like this. I would ask her out in a VERY casual way ie "Hey, I really need a coffee when this shift is over, wanna join me?". See how that goes over.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I absolutely think it means she is interested.

The touching normally means interest, if your really worried see how she engages with others, if she is touchy with then, it's possible it's just her habit, otherwise it means she's probably interested.

my guess is that she is interested in you I don't touch someone if I don't like them. but maybe you might want to see if she touches other guys as well. maybe she's just being friendly

Thanks a lot ladies for your valuable suggestions and comments. I am really more confident after reading these comments and believe that she likes me. Today I met her again at work as we were working on one patient together again. When she talks to me she stands really close to me and touches me on my shoulder and forearm frequently. Then she also touched my face and said that I had a line drawn there accidentally from a pen. I tried to clean it with alcohol sanitizer on the hospital wall and she said "Don't do that, it will make your face dry!" Then when I asked her to do something for a patient for me, she stopped doing what she was doing and went in and checked on the patient right away. No other nurse ever does that and they usually first complete their tasks and do my order if it is not urgent. I think I have a good chance with this girl. But I don't know how to proceed. I am too shy and I don't want to end up in an embarrassing moment. And yes, I have never seen her touchy with other guys, not to mention there are not many guys on the ward I am working because it is women's floor. Thanks a lot everyone! You girls rock!!

Try stepping outside of yourself. Shy or not, sometimes you have to be the DOCTOR, the guy in charge. You do it with patients and your professors. Get in that head space for confidence before you ask her out.

Thank you DalMom. Yes it is true. I am pretty comfortable in those situations like talking with my patients and all my patients say that they like me. This is one of the reasons why this girl complimented me the other day. However with patients I don't feel anxious at all. It is like normal routine. e.g. One of my patients who was on morphine for pain control today and was straight on flirting with me. But I know that medical ethics don't allow relationship between physicians and patients, so I don't feel anxious in that kind of situation. But this is different. I have to admit my feelings to an absolutely stunning woman and I am too scared of rejection!