+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who hates talking on the phone when in a relationship?

I'm definitely a caller myself. My ex was a texter though so it became a bit of a problem. Especially as we were in a LDR.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    You're right, that is sexist, I just want to point out that it is only "sexist" in that it is a gender-based prejudice. It is not institutionalized sexism though (I'm sure you are well aware of this and I don't mean to be disrespectful by pointing it out, I just think it's important to make the distinction).
    True, but if you want something to change, you must ensure you reflect that change. You should never demand equality while simultaneously practicing sexism... but I see it all the time.

You can easily demand equality and hold some sexist opinions at the same time. You can say 'women are so obsessed with shoes!' (personal opinion) and still expect for women to be paid as much as men for the same job. Or for women to have the same rights as men with regards to voting. It was clearly a light-hearted comment - much like some men might say "women!" when their wife takes forever to get ready. Do all women love shoes? Not really. Do all women take forever to get ready? Not really. Do all men hate talking? No. Stereotypes...they do apply and maybe to one gender more than the other, but it's not a rule.

Getting pedantic over irrelevant crap doesn't do much...it's as annoying coming from men as it is coming from crazy femi-nazi's.

Depends. Talking on the phone means that I'm not with her at that moment (otherwise we wouldn't call). Phonecalls got pretty basic lately, though she calls me from bed (before falling a sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by TablesandChairs View Post
    You can easily demand equality and hold some sexist opinions at the same time. You can say 'women are so obsessed with shoes!' (personal opinion) and still expect for women to be paid as much as men for the same job. Or for women to have the same rights as men with regards to voting. It was clearly a light-hearted comment - much like some men might say "women!" when their wife takes forever to get ready. Do all women love shoes? Not really. Do all women take forever to get ready? Not really. Do all men hate talking? No. Stereotypes...they do apply and maybe to one gender more than the other, but it's not a rule.

Getting pedantic over irrelevant crap doesn't do much...it's as annoying coming from men as it is coming from crazy femi-nazi's.
    I've never said that unless it was tongue-in-cheek.

I really don't give a rats ass if I annoy you.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    True, but if you want something to change, you must ensure you reflect that change. You should never demand equality while simultaneously practicing sexism... but I see it all the time.
    I agree, however it's important to point out the fundamental difference between the two different meanings of sexism. One is "gender-based prejudice" (and it's what the poster you quoted was doing), the other is "institutionalized sexism", which is the whole patriarchal societal, economical and political norms and environment, that reinforces patriarchy while treating women as "lesser than men". Both men and women can be sexist in the second sense of course (for example, even women can tell other women that they are "slutty") and such sexism can also hurt men (for example when a guy that likes shopping gets made fun of because he is "girly"). However, it is not what that poster was doing, that poster was being sexist in the first sense. But yes, I do agree that if someone wants to fight institutionalized sexism, they shouldn't promote such institutionalized sexism (for example calling other women slutty or telling a weak guy that he "hits like a girl" and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by TablesandChairs View Post

Except that when you use gender-based stereotypes to refer to women, even if it is not your intention, you are actually helping to perpetuate patriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I agree, however it's important to point out the fundamental difference between the two different meanings of sexism. One is "gender-based prejudice" (and it's what the poster you quoted was doing), the other is "institutionalized sexism", which is the whole patriarchal societal, economical and political norms and environment, that reinforces patriarchy while treating women as "lesser than men". Both men and women can be sexist in the second sense of course (for example, even women can tell other women that they are "slutty") and such sexism can also hurt men (for example when a guy that likes shopping gets made fun of because he is "girly"). However, it is not what that poster was doing, that poster was being sexist in the first sense. But yes, I do agree that if someone wants to fight institutionalized sexism, they shouldn't promote such institutionalized sexism (for example calling other women slutty or telling a weak guy that he "hits like a girl" and so on).
    Hell, I'm excellent at shopping - my wife takes me with her so I can pick out things for her to try on. I don't even mind holding her purse while she does, heheh..

Took it back eh? I'll remember that*

*I'm kidding.

Haha, it's just that I thought you were serious about being good at shopping (and I liked the badassery of not caring about what others may think of you because of it XD), then I did a double-take and I realized you actually weren't, so I took it back !

Yes, I was serious about shopping, I am good at that and don't care what people think - but not serious about remembering you taking it back.

Haha, okey dokey then .

Hear about case when girl answered phone call in middle of sex and spoke with other guy for half an hour.

Gratz with 5k posts searock !
    Last edited by pcmaster; 05-11-13 at 12:36 PM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I don't mind text or talking on the phone at all. If its plans or something, I prefer a phone call. I like flirtatious texts or check ins from time to time. This guy i'm talking to, we text this past sunday from like 1 pm until about midnight through out the entire day. I enjoyed the convo, I guess. Of course meeting in person is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    Hear about case when girl answered phone call in middle of sex and spoke with other guy for half an hour.

Gratz with 5k posts searock !
    I've had guys tell me to answer my phone in the middle of sex. My ex did that all the time. Guess they were feeling themselves doing a good job and wanted everyone to know it as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast