+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Can you just forget a person

Can you just forget a person

Do you think you can just forget a person who you had been in contact with pretty much everyday for like 2-3 years? Can you just forget that they exist and not think about them?

Lots of variables and without more info, difficult to offer advice. But generally, nope.

Yes it's possible. I almost never think about my ex husband. Granted, it took a while to get to this stage because I spent a few years thinking about how grateful I was to be divorced from him.....but he's not even a blip on my radar now.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

It really depends on a lot of factors. For one thing, there are a lot of people you may say nearly every day for years and years, and they may still not be that terribly significant to your life. In those cases, you will tend to forget them pretty quickly. There can even be somewhat casual friends. Maybe you were pretty close for years, and saw each other a lot, but you weren't quite like best friends type friends.

So, if you go a long while without seeing somebody like that, you may tend to forget them. Though, they'd probably be the type of person to pop into your head from time to time.

But, people that had some sort of large impact on your life tend to be people you will never forget. They may not always be at the front of your mind, but you tend never to forget them. So, it really sort of depends on a number of things.

To Basil's point, I am also EXTREMELY happy to be getting a divorced (knock wood, everything should be final very soon). I am already at the point where I BARELY ever think of my ex at all, and when I do it is mainly to marvel at how much better off I am without her. But that doesn't change the fact that we were once married, and this was once somebody with whom I thought I would be sharing the rest of my life. So, it seems doubtful I'd ever completely forget her. But, much like Basil said of her ex, in time mine won't even be a blip in my radar.

i would say no, not if you knew them for many years were close and talked daily, they would always pop up in your thoughts when reminded of something that connected you to them. i think it is hard to forget someone you cared about even after they die.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

No. You never completely forget someone obviously lol. But it is very possible to cut someone out of your life for good and never look back. Ive done that, so have almost everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

following on from what Michelle wrote....

"Completely forget" (in the literal sense): short of head trauma, you won't forget that you ever met that person. But you can get to the stage where you think about them extremely rarely.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Or the stage where the only time you do think about them is to say to yourself "man i dodged a bullet there"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

They get tucked away in the far recesses of your brain and you never think of them until someone or something triggers a memory of them. Then, when the thought of them surfaces, you can remember with indifference.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

No, you can't. Even if you try your hardest they will still be occasionally in your mind unless you get hold of that MIB tool and wipe your memory.
    “I am the author of my life. Unfortunately I’m writing in pen and I can’t erase my mistakes.”

I agree with the No you cannot's. Lots of times you wish you could because he would save you lots of heartache and anger.

Typo - it*
    I have said in the past many a time get the f uck out of my head.

No, not at all. You may move on, but you'll never forget.